Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sixth Trip to Italy...somewhat more indepth itinerary May 2011

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day 1 - Scavi Tour (yes I got my confirmation) ending inside St. Peter's. Grab a snack out of my backpack and head up the stairs to the top of St. Peter's (it's habit I do it everytime). Then wander over to Castel St. Angelo. I arrive the night before so don't want to overdue it.

Day 2 - Fingers cross the underground tour of the Colosseum has been reopened. If not just do the Colosseum the old fashioned way followed by the Forum.

Day 3 - Borghese Gallery and then a pedal bike around the Borghese gardens and a stroll. Nice relaxing day. Perhaps today we'll grab that coffee at the Antico Cafe Greco...more to see the art as it is more of a gallery than a coffee shop.

Day 4 - Back to St. Peter's but doing the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museum. Then if time allows an afternoon at the National Museum not far from Termini Station.

Day 5 - The Pantheon followed by a peak into the beautiful Santa Maria de la Maddalena church. Really easy to miss if you don't know it's there. Just 2 blocks from the Pantheon. Tivoli Fountain and Spanish Steps and general walking about today.

Day 6 - Squares, Piazza's and Fountains. Anything we've missed...oh and laundry. Early morning train to Venice.

Day 7 - Eurostar to Venice

Day 8 - Learning how to be a gondalier and taking lessons. Took a lot of searching to find this particular guide. There is a one that advertises it does this but really they just let you stand at the oar for 5 minutes for a photo. On ours there is just 4 of us (the teacher, her brother that steers the thing, and my husband and I rowing until our arms fall off or we fall into the Grande Canal. Whichever comes first. Then we have an invitation to visit a forcola maker in his little office where he makes oars and forcolas. These are what the oars rest in.

Day 9 - Secret tour of the Doges Palace and then hopefully we'll get up the bell tower as the view is wonderful. Sorry but we are going to spend the money and have a coffee at Caffe Florian.

Day 10 - Museum of the Academia.

Anyone else have any really special ideas for Rome that I could squeeze in? I've been to the catacombs and to Tivoli Gardens although I haven't ruled out Pompei completely yet.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Consider taking the vaporetto to San Giorgio Maggiore and after visiting the church ride the elevator to the top of its campanile. The view is even better than the one in San Marco.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
ekc

Have you been to see the Ara Pacis in Rome? If not, I would fit it in. Doesn't take long and it is really something! I also really enjoyed looking through the "keyhole" by the Malta embassy.
Coffee at Caffe Florian was one of our favorite memories of Venice last year!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 09:32 AM

There are so many beautiful and exciting things to do and see in Rome... this thread may give you some ideas: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ightseeing.cfm
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ekc...How did I not know about Ara Pacis before? I will definately squeeze it in. Thanks so much for the info.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you notbob, I love riding elevators or climbing stairs for views most people don't know about. I had thought about visiting San Giorgio Maggiore anyway but didn't know you could go up to the top.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM

The Colosseum underground tour has restarted and is guaranteed until June 30.

Information is already available in Italian and should be soon in English here:
http://www.pierreci.it/en.aspx
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:27 AM

The information is now up in English here:
http://www.060608.it/en/eventi-e-spe...-colosseo.html
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM

The Villa Farnesina just across the Ponte Sisto in Trastevere is very easy to reach and quite beautiful. No one ever seems to go there, but the Raphael frescos are lovely.

And if you haven't yet visited the Basilica of San Clemente, very near the Colosseum, it's extremely interesting, several layers of well preserved history, right down to a pagan Mithraic altar.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In Rome I enjoyed visiting Largo Argentina, which is more well-known as the spot where Caesar was assassinated but is now inhabited by a wonderful colony of cats and a feline shelter. Find Walter's walk on here if you decide to work this in, it really brings things in that area to life.

I also took the After-Hours tour of the Vatican Museum, which, while pricey, was well worth it since I love art and Michelangelo in particular. I'm not sure if that is still offered.

I second or third Ara Pacis, it was just stunning and a relatively quick stop.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Zerlina...horray! Undergound Colosseum is back. I better see about booking.I just checked last week on this so it must have just restarted.

Yes will definately go to the Ara Pacis, just adding it to my itinerary.