Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sixteen days in Italy. My thoughts on Orvieto.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Stephen

Well, for those interested here is another installment on Italy. Orvieto proved to be an easy daytrip from Rome. The Rome train station was just fine. Busy for sure, but we had no trouble finding our way about, getting tickets, and were bothered by no one, ever! Orvieto took aboput 1 hr., then a ride up a really senic funicular to connect with the city bus. We were deposited at the Piazza Duomo but delayed a tour till after lunch. It was about 2PM. As you know the restaurants close about then, but we were able to get a meal at Ristorante Antico Bucchero at Via de' Cartari 4. The waiter was a little reluctant to feed us but we agreed to order simply and we were rewarded with a great lunch of tagletelli with wild hare sauce and a tortellini with mushrooms, topped of by a newly opened bottle of wine for which we were charged only for what we drank. Outside on an October afternoon, it was perfect. After lunch we asked if we could see the wine celler. The waiter, quite descretely, looked around for the owner and sensing the coast was clear took us down. Dark, cool, mysterious, and potentially romantic as he pointed out the small tables with candles where they, on special request, might serve dinner to a couple in the mood for the best. Quite a memory. <BR>The Duomo is fantastic. Within is the Chapel of San Brizio with frescos by Signorelli. The cycle is breathtaking. The outside of the church mosaics which, in the proper afternoon light, glow. This Duomo was remarkable and worth the trip by itself. <BR>Orvieto sits atop a rock outcropping whose elevation provided almost limitless views of the surrounding countryside. In the evening, as we prepared to leave, the rolling hills seemed smokey. This was one of the prettiest views we had in all of Italy. <BR> <BR>Well, as you can tell, we loved Orvieto. Next time we may try to stay for a few nights. Highly recommended as a day trip or more. Easily done from Rome and on the main train line so a stop between Rome and Florence is a snap. More later for those who are interested.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Stephen, glad to read your comments. Tho we've been to Italy several times, have not seen Orvieto, and it's on my list for our trip this year.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 07:26 PM
dahlia

Another great post!! I think I will be following your steps when I travel in Italy. Thanks again.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 02:28 AM
the turnip

"Please sir. Can i have some more?" <BR> <BR>I loved your post! We'll be in Orvieto this May and now I wish it was tomorrow. <BR>Great tips and refreshing enthusiasm. Keep up the good work. <BR> <BR>I just wonder what other installments I may have missed...

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Elsa

Hi Turnip, <BR>Cute name! I was able to find 3 other posts from Stephen by doing a search under "Sixteen days in Italy." Hopefully Stephen will answer your question as to how many posts we may have missed. <BR> <BR>Hi Stephen, <BR>Your posts re Italy are very interesting. Please keep them coming! THANKS <BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 10:17 AM
geo

Hi Stephen- In Nov Orvieto was our last stop driving back to Rome from Florence.It's well that it wasn't our first stop cause we probably would have stayed there.The Duomo and the views are breathtaking.The least touristy of all the hill towns,IMO. with out reservations we stayed at a charming hotel (Virgilio) and our room looked out directly toward the Duomo-after three days we hated to leave

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Stephen

Thanks, everyone, for your interest. More to come.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 06:09 PM
betsy

Have also stayed at the Virgilio. Ask for a room facing the duomo. Other gelato addicts will be delighted to know that there is a great source along the left hand side of the duomo, as you face it (can't remember the name of the place). Sneaked over to get some from the Virgilio late at night in my pj's.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Dayle

Stephen: Thanks for your great reports! I just this moment confirmed our reservations for Palazzo Piccolomini in Orvieto. We can't wait! Planning on seeing ceramics in Deruta, Orvieto, Civita de Bagnoreggio, and Todi. Stephen, any recommendations? <BR>Turnip: we're there 19, 20 and 21 of May. How about you? Maybe we need to arrange a Fordorites get together in Italy this May!

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 06:25 AM
elizabeth

We stayed near Orvieto last year, and would suggest the Renaissance gardens in the Orvieto area as a must see. The following web site (of the villa we rented) has information and pictures: <BR> <BR>http://www.leterrae.com/Italianvillas.htm <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Laura

Stephen- Your post is simply inspiring! Would you mind giving some specifics about getting from Rome to Orvieto for the day? I can navigate the Termini but after that I am confused. thanks...

Old Jan 10th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Stephen

Hi Laura, the train trip is quite easy. As Orvieto is on the main rail line fron Rome to Florence you can get there on many of the regularly scheduled trains. Not all stop, but the ones that do are listed on the posted schedules. Quite easy. The funicular station is right across the street from the trail station. It zips you to the top where buses wait to complete the trip the the Duomo. It's a snap, really. The funicular ticket also gets you on the bus, so save it.

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 04:29 AM
the turnip

Sorry Dayle, We'll be there on the 11th and 12th. Flying home the 19th. I tell you what, we'll wave as we fly over ok?

Old Jan 11th, 2000, 12:17 PM
Ed

Excellent post. Orvieto's a lovely city. <BR> <BR>If you have a car it's quite easy to get to an old monastery on a hilltop across the way from Orvieto's hilltop. Great view of the city from one hill to the next. Name is L'Abade if memory serves correctly. <BR> <BR>Excellent article on visiting Orvieto by a friend at www.twenj.com/orvieto.htm <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Paulo

One more here that loved your post, Stephen, so ... keep it up <BR> <BR>Once this thread is going to pop up when performing a search on Orvieto, I just want to add a bit for families travelling with children. My girls had a ball with the Pozzo di San Patrizio (St. Patrick's Well). Considering the time it was built (1527) it must be certainly be considered an engineering feat. The well is about 12 meters in diameter and 60 meters down to the water surface. Built into the walls there are two spiral staircases that never meet. Ilummination for the staircases is provided by about 6 dozens of windows. Fortunatelly, my girls were old enough to go by themselves (I'm a bit too old to go up 250 steps!) Because of the windows (children certainly will want to look down), there's some danger and one adult should go along. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>