Search

Amalfi Coast Bus Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Bus Tickets

SITA Bus Lines announces a new fare structure for bus ticket along the Amalfi Coast (from Salerno all the way to Sorrento in either direction, but excluding Pompei and Naples):

Name of Special Ticket: "UNICO COSTIERA"

45-minute ticket: 2.00 Euros
90-minute ticket: 3.00 Euros
24-hour ticket: 6.00 Euros
3-day ticket: 15 Euros

BEWARE: These tickets are valid for travel ONLY along the Amalfi Coast, which is defined as all towns between Sorrento/Positano/Praiano/Amalfi/Salerno, but not beyond. Ravello is included in these tickets (since it can be reached by bus only from Amalfi). Do NOT purchase these tickets if you are not travelling strictly BETWEEN towns along the Amalfi Coast (e.g. Sorrento/Positano; Positano/Praiano; Positano/Amalfi; Praiano/Amalfi; Amalfi/Ravello; Amalfi/Salerno; or points in-between).

NOTE: These tickets are valid for multiple bus rides within the validity of the ticket. You may not BOARD a bus with an expired ticket, but you generally are allowed to COMPLETE a trip even beyond the validity of the 45 or 90-minute ticket. Example: You're travelling between Sorrento and Ravello on a 90-minute ticket. You punch your ticket upon boarding the first bus in Sorrento. Travel time between Sorrento and Amalfi is usually 100 minutes (or more), but you are allowed to complete the run to Amalfi, even if your ticket has expired while on board. However, you may NOT board the second bus from Amalfi to Ravello with the expired ticket. You must instead buy a new (45-minute) ticket. Alternatively, you should purchase a 24-hour ticket at Sorrento.

BEWARE: The 45-minute ticket is designed for short trips such as Amalfi/Ravello and Amalfi/Positano. For longer trips such as Salerno/Amalfi or Sorrento/Positano, you should purchase the 90-minute ticket (or the 24-hour ticket, if you plan to use the buses later that same day).

NOTE: If you're taking the SITA bus between Naples or Pompei and the Amalfi Coast, or between the Amalfi Coast and Paestum, or between Naples and Sorrento, or between Naples and Pompei, do NOT buy the "UNICO COSTIERA" tickets described above; instead, buy the regular "Unicocampania" zone tickets for the distance involved.
For example, for travel by bus between Naples and Sorrento or Amalfi or Positano, you must purchase a "biglietto Fascia 5" for 3.30 Euros one-way or 6.60 Euros for 24-hours, or 5.30 Euros on Saturday or Sunday. For travel between Amalfi and Paestum (Capaccio), you must purchase a "biglietto extraurbano E6" for 3.50 Euros one-way or 7.00 Euros for 24-hours, or 5.60 Euros on Saturday or Sunday. For the city of Naples (plus Pozzuoli), you must purchase the "Unico Napoli" ticket for 1.10 Euros one-way or 3.10 Euros for 24-hours, or 2.60 Euros on Saturday or Sunday. The Fascia 5 bus ticket described above is also valid for travel on the Circumvesuviana light rail between Naples and Sorrento.

www.sitabus.it (Schedules)
www.unicocampania.it (Fares for tickets in the Campania region)

Other useful sites:

www.vesuviana.it (Circumvesuviana light rail between Napoli and Sorrento)
www.ferroviedellostato.it (Long distance trains)
www.marozzi.vt.it (Bus between Roma Tiburtina and Sorrento)
www.curreriviaggi.it (Bus between Roma Tiburtina and Sorrento)
www.salernocity.com (Boats between Positano/Amalfi/Salerno)
www.metrodelmare.com (Boats between Bay of Naples and Amalfi Coast and further south)
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
A better bargain for the entire coastal area (Campania) if you are going to be there for three days is the Campania Arte Card 3 day Tutta la Regione for 27€. It includes 2 free admissions (you pick from such places as Pompeii/Paestum/Herculaneum or many others) and free transportation for three days. Last year it included a one way ride on Metro del Mare, but I don't see that listed this year.

_public transport in the entire region
_access to first 2 sites
_50% discount from the 3rd entrance to all the other sites in the itinerary
http://www.campaniartecard.it/EN/Home.cfm
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
GAC
Original Poster

One very important clarification to my posting above:

I make reference to the "Unicocampania" zone tickets when travelling within the Campania Region outside of the "Amalfi Coast". For example, between Naples and Sorrento; Naples and Pompei; Pompei and Sorrento; Naples and Amalfi; Amalfi and Paestum; Salerno and Paestum; Naples and Caserta, etc.

The DAY ticket for Monday thru Friday (i.e. any single day EXCEPT Saturday and Sunday) is not technically valid for 24-hours. It's valid from 10 am to midnight. On Saturday and Sunday, however, the WEEKEND DAY ticket is indeed valid for 24 hours (Saturday or Sunday). Consequently, you won't be able to use the DAY ticket from Monday through Friday if you want to depart sooner than 10 am. You'll have to purchase two one-way tickets (which cost the same as the day ticket).

By contrast, the UNICO COSTIERA day ticket is valid for 24 hours (or 3 days, as the case may be), as is the UNICONAPOLI day ticket.

ALSO, when using a "Unicocampania" zone ticket, you must write the points of origination and destination in the appropriate places on the ticket itself; e.g. "Napoli" and "Amalfi" or "Napoli" and "Paestum". This allows the ticket controllers to more quickly determine whether you've purchased the correct ticket. This rule does NOT apply to the "UNICONAPOLI" or to the "UNICO COSTIERA" tickets.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM

Re: Campania Arte Card.

I trying to understand the limitation in using this card.

The Campania Arte Card site says:
"allows you to use the public transport system in the Costiera," so although SITA bus is not mentioned, I am assuming the card is valid on SITA buses between Sorrento and Amalfi.

The Card seems to be valid for Caserta entrance, but does it also include buses or trains from Napoli to Caserta?
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
GAC
Original Poster

Greg: It depends WHICH Campania Arte Card you buy. There are ten (10) different types: some include Caserta, others do not. Some include transportation, others do not. For Caserta, you can choose either the "Napoli e Caserta" artecard, or the "Tutta la Regione 3 days" artecard. Both these cards include transportation (the latter for the entire region).

www.artecard.it
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
GAC
Original Poster

The SITA buses along the Amalfi ARE INCLUDED in the "Tutta la Regione 3 days" artecard. The "Tutta la Regione 7 days" artecard does NOT include ANY transportation.

Not all means of transportation are included, ONLY those operators which are part of the "UNICO CAMPANIA" network. For a list of operators, see the website:

www.unicocampania.it

There is also a three-day UNICO CAMPANIA ticket which covers transportation for the entire Campania Region. It is calloed the "3T Tourist Travel Ticket." The fare is 20 Euros, and it expires at midnight of the THIRD DAY after validation. For some, this ticket is more advantageous than the three day UNICO COSTIERA ticket (which costs 15 Euros, but is valid only along the Amalfi Coast, from Sorrento to Salerno including Ravello). For example, if planning to travel to Pompei, Naples, Caserta or Paestum together with a stay along the Amalfi Coast, the three-day UNICO CAMPANIA ticket is a better value.

The 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA ticket is valid on all lines of all operators which are part of the UNICO CAMPANIA network. These include the ALIBUS between Naples Piazza Municipio/Piazza Garibaldi and the Naples Airport, the Naples city buses, underground and funiculars, the Circumvesuviana commuter rail between Naples and Sorrento, the SITA buses regionwide (including those along the Amalfi Coast), the CSTP buses from Salerno to Paestum/Agropoli, the SEPSA and EAVBUS buses, and the Trenitalia "regionale" trains (BUT NOT THE FAST TRAINS).

The buses/funicular on CAPRI are EXCLUDED, but the buses on ISCHIA are INCLUDED in the UNICO CAMPANIA network.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 05:54 PM

The 3 day Tutta la Regione Artecard includes the transportation that GAC describes for the the 3 day Unico Campania, essentially 3 days throughout the region of Campania (Caserta to Naples to Amalfi Coast to Paestum, etc.) and the two free admissions to sites and 50% discounts at others. Check when in the region if it covers the Metro del Mare one way. When I was there in 2008 it did, but it was not listed on the website, only in the brochures about the pass.

To maximize the value of the pass, use the free entrances for the more expensive sites. Pompeii and Herculaneum are 11€ each while the Archaeological Museum in Naples is 10€. Caserta is 7€.

Yes, it covers the Sita buses on the coast and the train to Caserta.

Click on the site you want to visit from the list on this page. The next page will give you the hours, price AND the buses #'s, trains, metro lines, etc. to reach that site.
http://www.campaniartecard.it/itinerary.cfm?id=13
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:55 PM
GAC
Original Poster

I cannot agree more that the artecards can be a tremendous value IF USED INTELLIGENTLY. Even the artecards without transportation (such as the "Tutta la Regione 7 days": the first 5 sites are free; 50% discount for additional sites; cost 30 Euros) can be a good value, depending on the use to which they are put during their limited period of validity.

But I would say even more: for those who want to "overdose" on museums and archeological sites (and have the time to do so), the 365-day artecard (valid for TWO entries to ALL SITES over a 365-day period, at a cost of only 40 Euros; NO transportation) is an EVEN BETTER DEAL than the 7-day artecard.

Indeed, the 365-day artecard is the VERY BEST VALUE for tourists wanting to see as many sites as possible during a sojourn of around one week or more.

There is also a 365-day artecard for young people (18-25): the same benefits as the "regular" 365-day artecard, but at the reduced cost of 30 Euros.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:27 PM

How about Sorrento city buses? Are they included in COSTIERA or UNICOCAMPANIA card?
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
GAC
Original Poster

I believe YES. In addition, between the Port of Sorrento and Piazza Tasso in Sorrento, two passengers can travel together with one UNICO COSTIERA ticket for 45 minutes (2 euros).
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Many thanks for the info, too bad didn't see this post ahead as I bought Unico Costiera and others several times last two weeks.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM

I will have below itineraries:-
D12: 2010-06-17 (Thur) Salerno > Paestum > Salerno
D13: 2010-06-18 (Fri) Maiore > Amalfi > Ravello > Maiore
D14: 2010-06-19 (Sat) Maiore > Positano > Maiore
D15: 2010-06-20 (Sun) Pompei > Museo Archelogico Nazionale
D16: 2010-06-21 (Mon) Sorrento > Capri > Sorrento
D17: 2010-06-22 (Tue) Sorrento > Napoli > Rome

I would like to buy some passes to cover the tranportation of this period. But I don't know I should buy Unico Campania 3T (E20) + Artecard 3 days(E27) OR 2x Artecard 3 days. Which choice is better? Thanks
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Where are you staying? I would rearrange the schedule to take advantage of the Tutta la Regione 3 day Artecard, but it depends on where you are staying. Best use would be Pompeii entrance (11€) and Archaeology Museum (11€) for the free entrances. You would have to visit them first when you activated the card as the card will automatically assign free entrance to the first sites visited. Use also for Paestum within the three days.

If you rearrange your schedule to use the Artecard for Pompeii/Naples/Paestum, then you would not need the Unico Campania 3T (20€). You can buy the Unico Costeria(18€)which covers the Maiore/Amalfi/Ravello/Sorrento/Pompeii areas.
http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...anner=costiera

Sorrento/Capri will require a ferry which won't be covered by passes.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:27 AM

bookmarking
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM

D12: 2010-06-17 (Thur) Salerno > Paestum > Salerno (accommodation: Salerno)
D13: 2010-06-18 (Fri) Maiore > Amalfi > Ravello > Maiore(accommodation: Maiore)
D14: 2010-06-19 (Sat) Maiore > Positano > Maiore
(accommodation: Maiore)
D15: 2010-06-20 (Sun) Pompei > Museo Archelogico Nazionale (accommodation: Sorrento)
D16: 2010-06-21 (Mon) Sorrento > Capri > Sorrento
(accommodation: Sorrento)
D17: 2010-06-22 (Tue) Sorrento > Napoli > Rome
At the begining, I just plan to travel the Amalfi coast from west to east or reverse without considering using any Artecard or transportation passes. As the accommdations are booked already, it is difficult for me to group the Pompei, Pasetum and Museo Archelogico Nazionale together in consecutive 3 days. It is no doubt that grouping these sights together can utilize the Artecard 3 day, but regarding the transportation time I don't know how to reschedule my plan. Maybe some one can give me some hints.
If I buy the 2 One day Unico Costeria (E7.2x2=E14.4) on Day 13&14 and then buy single ticket (E3x2=E6)on Day 12 from/to Pasetum, the total cost is E20.4 which is more expensive than that of Unico Campania 3T (E20). And the admission fee of Paestum is E6.5, I think buy Artecard 3 day (E27) is better than Unico Campania 3T + admission fee (E20+E6.5=E26.5) on Day 12-14.
On Day 15-17, I will buy the Artecard 3 day for free admission to Pompei & Archaeology Museum.
Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM

GAC stated that "The 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA ticket is valid on all lines of all operators ... the SITA buses regionwide (including those along the Amalfi Coast), the CSTP buses from Salerno to Paestum/Agropoli, the SEPSA and EAVBUS buses, and the Trenitalia 'regionale' trains (BUT NOT THE FAST TRAINS)."

Dose the Artecard 3 day include the SITA bus (Amalfi Coast) and the Trenitalia 'regionale' trains? If Yes, I will consider to rearrange my plan that Day 12 to Pasetum and Day 13 to Pompei+Museo Archelogico Nazionale, then back to Maiore at night.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 04:26 PM

GAC and kybourbon, this artecard seems a real bargain for tourists staying in Sorrento.

If taking the train roundtrip between Sorrento and Pompeii with the 3 day all region artecard, do you purchase train tickets or do you use the card like a pass when the train conductor checks tickets?

I'm gathering information to help my sisters with their May trip to Sorrento. I don't remember having an artecard that included transportation in 2005 when we were in Sorrento. Thanks, Deborah
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM

>>>Dose the Artecard 3 day include the SITA bus (Amalfi Coast) and the Trenitalia 'regionale' trains?<<<

Yes. The 3 day Tutta la Regione covers transportation to any of the places on the card. This card covers the entire area (same as the Unico Campania 3T)where as some of the other cards cover a smaller area or do not include transportation. For a list of transport included, you need to look at the Unico Campania website list. It's likely the transport card you receive with the pass will actually be a Unico Campania 3T.
http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...action=aziende

They also offer special promos with the passes at times. In 2008 it was a one-way ride on the Metro del Mare which is one of the ferry systems on the coast. So you could take the ferry from Sorrento to Naples one-way free (or perhaps Sorrento/Capri). I don't see that currently listed though.

>>>If taking the train roundtrip between Sorrento and Pompeii with the 3 day all region artecard, do you purchase train tickets or do you use the card like a pass when the train conductor checks tickets? <<<

Usually in Italy when you are purchasing these types of offers, you get an entrance card and a separate transportation card. The entrance card is usually hard plastic like a credit card and is swiped at the site entrances. The transport card is a paper ticket which also has a magnetic stripe. Typically there is a place to write in your name and date on the back which is required. You use the same transport card for the three days. You won't need to buy separate tickets.

>>>I don't remember having an artecard that included transportation in 2005<<<

I don't know if this existed then, but keep in mind it's only the 3 day Tutta la Regione that includes transport. The 7 day does not.

FYI - Artecards aren't available everywhere. If you are coming through Naples upon arrival, you can purchase at the info point in the train station.

Info 800.600.601
from mobile and from abroad +39 06 39 96 76 50
[email protected]
>info point
Naples - Central Rail Station
09:00am-06:00pm
>where to buy artecard
>online
>through the call center at number
toll free 800 600 601
from mobiles and from abroad
+39 06 399 676 50
(max 50 cards, payment by credit card)
>by filling in the order form (min 20, payment by credit transfer/cash)
>in the museums and archeological sites of artecard circuit and at the infopoint situated in the central rail station.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 04:15 AM

Buongiorno,

I will be staying on the Amalfi Coast for 2 weeks so do I need to purchase a series of cards for travel and archeological sites for 3 day stints or is there a weekly pass? What would be the best solution?
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:50 AM

3 days is the longest that includes travel, and the Tutti la Regione version the only one that's valid on the AC.

If you'll be doing a lot of visits and travelling, eventually there comes a point where it's cheaper to buy the 365 day version of the Artecard (2 entrances prepaid to each site, valid for a year) and multiple 3T cards....

But it's not until beyond 15 days...

With the 3 day Artecard, 5 x €27 =135 Euro

Or, 365 Card €40, plus 5 of the 3T at €20.... €140

Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -