Experience with Airline Consolidators

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am going on my honeymoon this June from NJ to Italy and am looking for a better deal on airline tickets than I have been seeing ($1000-$1400).I have read some dated information on airlines consolidators on this website, but would like to know a little more about them before I buy consider using them. So far I checked out www.airlineconsolidators.com and found great rates; almost too good to be true. I would love some feedback on those who have had used consolidators. Are there any glitches I should look out for? Thank you in advance for any information.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I've used 1800flyeurope. They can be quite competitive when the route is simple, it seems to me (for example, they always seem to have some great fares for NYC to London). But if the route is a little more complex, I usually just stick with Orbitz and I also investigate the intra-Europe routes via whichbudget.com, as is frequently recommended here.

I'm sure that others will have other tricks up their sleeves.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

Here's an old thread on flyeurope:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34498722
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 12:59 PM

I almost always use consolidators and am consistently happy with the prices. the figure you are quoted is wayyyy too high. had you also considered flying to London, spending a few days there, then taking Easyjet to Italy? you may do quite well. we are going to London in November, 510 bucks, and 85-90 bucks RT to Rome from there. 600 bucks, not bad!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM

I use consolidators most of the time, but the best prices do not usually appear more than 90 to 120 days out.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM

KristaK:
DO invest in travel insurance for the airline ticket. I had purchased a flight with airlineconsolidators.com (by the way, often, an even cheaper option is quoted by phone). As clearly indicated, these tickets are completely nonrefundable. I am young and healthy, BUT travel insurance also covers immediate family members who may not be so young. This was my case. Dad needed totally unexpected heart surgery 10 days before the departure date. The insurance came through. As expected, the consolidators said 'we can't help you.'
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM
ira

Hi K,

I checked the site. The price should drop closer to $600 for EWR/FCO about December.

I have used these folks and had no trouble.

Consolidators buy blocks of tickets at a discount from the airlines. They sell them at a profit to consumers.

It's about the same as "dial around" telephone numbers.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Krista -
Consolidators are fine if you are absolutely certain that there will be no change at all (not just different date, but even different flight on the same day) to your purchased itinerary. Also, you may not get frequent flyer mileage if you purchase through a consolidator.
The $1000 - $1400 seems way too high, but that may be becasue the airlines have not yet released their discount fares for next June. Continental, for example, lists a $930 RT fron Newark to Rome for 7-15 June 2005, but the same direct flight in October 2004 is listed for $582.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM

flygirl

I do the exact same thing - fly to London and then use the budget airlines to explore Europe. I went to Rome in Feb using Ryan Air - 38 GBP rt. Going to London in Nov. and will be going to Holland for 28 GBP rt.

KristaK - check the website whichbudget.com for budget flights in Europe. You could get some time in London and then fly on to Italy.
Congratulations and enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Just flew two weeks ago on tickets booked via 1800flyeurope.com and was very happy with the price and service. Booked on their website since I had a non-complicated direct non-stop flight to Zurich. Double checked the flight times before I booked with the schedule on the American Airlines site and it matched up exactly but the price was several hundred dollars less from 1800flyeurope.

Once I completely my booking I was sent a record locator via e-mail from 1800flyeurope which I could use on the AA website to check my flight confirmation and choose my seats. Several days later received the tickets in the mail.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input...I am goign to check out the suggested websites! I have already booked all of our hotels in Italy, so I can't do the London thing for a few days (but thanks for the tip!).
I have another question, can you pick your seats with the consolidators or is it a get what you get deal? Also, do you have the option to upgrade down the road after purchasing with the consolidators?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Sounds like you are a doing agood job planning, Krista. Re: your question about upgrading on a consolidator ticket - the answer is generally no. When you buy through a consolidator you get what the airlines calls a "bulk ticket" - the consolidator has purchased a block of seats to re-sell - and these are not usually eligible for upgrading through the airline using FF miles.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM

We were able to pick our seats for the tickets we purchased from 1800flyeurope which were for American Airlines. It was no different from if we had purchased tickets through a travel agent or from the airline directly. Once we had our confirmation record locator number I handled everything else (seat selection, special meal requirement) directly with the airline.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone...I really appreciate all of your input!