Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SItes in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sites-in-tuscany-67088/)

mary Apr 2nd, 2000 06:09 AM

SItes in Tuscany

We are arriving in Florence spending three nights then renting a car to tour Tuscany. WE are basing our stay outside of Siena. Any suggestions about other towns to see such as Cortona, Arrezo, San Gimigano and how far is Assisi from Siena?? How far from Siena to Lucca and what is the best route? <BR>Thanks <BR>Mary <BR>Thanks

Pat Schulte Apr 2nd, 2000 08:40 AM

We have been to tuscany several times and usually base at a farm about 45 minutes south of siena...where are you staying? We have done day trips to all the cities you mentioned. Arezzo,San G and cotona are all about an hout to an hour and a half and Assisi was bout 2 and a half or more hours.I think Lucca would be a long drive for a day trip but is is a wonderful city. The best bet for routes is to get a good map of Tuscany and then follow it city to city since highway directions aren't very good...hope this helps...e-mail me if you have any other questions.....ciao

Paulo Apr 2nd, 2000 11:29 AM

The fastest drive from Siena to Lucca should read just over 1 1/2 hours. You'd have to pick the express road (S2) and Autostrade A1/A11 thereafter. I would use the above route on my return. On yur way to Lucca you should consider country roads (S429 and S436) after you reach Poggibonsi on S2 (through Castelfiorentino, Empoli and Fucecchio) instead. This should add some 30 minutes to the first itinerary above (though shorter, it's slower due to the lower speeds you'll be able to develop). <BR>If you don't stop on your way, 2 hours should be enough for driving from Siena to Assisi. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Paul Apr 2nd, 2000 05:28 PM

<BR>Has anybody done the same type of touring in Tuscany just by train/bus? I'll be there starting 10 April for 9 days. <BR>Thanks

Stephen Apr 2nd, 2000 05:53 PM

Yup, did it last October and it is a snap. Pisa, Lucca, San G., Florence, all served just fine by public transit. We really enjoyed not having to worry about a car. Also took bus to Rome and did just great. What a treat ahead of you!

Beth Apr 2nd, 2000 06:03 PM

Try to fit in Orvieto, and maybe skip Arezzo. I thought Orvieto was beautiful, although it will be fairly long drive from Siena (1.5-2 hours?). Also Montepulciano was great, and has the best wine. The "True Cross" fresco cycle, which would be the highlight of a visit to Arezzo was still more than 75% covered up for restoration when we were there in September.

RJD Apr 2nd, 2000 06:14 PM

One more wine suggestion. There is a wonderful village, Montalcino, with a great wine tasting enoteca in a castle. Try the Brunello de Montalcino. If you're lucky it'll give you another great reason to visit Italy.

Holly Apr 3rd, 2000 09:01 PM

Cortona is definitely worth a visit, preferably a day & a night, especially if you've got a car to get there (a little out of the way by train/bus, but still worth it that way, too). It's a lovely little medieval town perched up on a hill with just spectacular views.