Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Singleton going to the London theatre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/singleton-going-to-the-london-theatre-177463/)

Ann Mar 21st, 2002 03:05 PM

Singleton going to the London theatre

I am planning my first solo trip to my favorite city in the world London (OK, second after my hometown of San Francisco). I would love to go to the theatre, play or musical one night, but don't really feel like going by myself. Any suggestions?

hrh Mar 21st, 2002 03:06 PM

if it makes you feel less weird, maybe try going to a matinee...<BR><BR>hrh

Nutella Mar 21st, 2002 03:24 PM

If it's any consolation, you have a good chance of getting a better seat if you're alone! Sometimes there is a lone seat in a row for sale, and people who want two together end up getting tickets further back. Have a great trip!

janis Mar 21st, 2002 09:37 PM

I often go to the theatre alone in London. Nothing to worry about. A big plus is that even for sold out shows single seats are often available.<BR><BR>And most everyone sitting around you will be friendly and will talk to you before the show and during the interval.<BR><BR>A hint - when you first get to the theatre go directly to the bar that is closest to your seat and order a drink for the interval. Even if yoy are not a drinker - you can order OJ or soda, etc. By preordering your drinks you don't have to fight your way to the bar. it can be a real scrum. You simply walk in and go directly to the table where the barman has laid out your drink. You can finish and get back to your seat before most folks have even gotten through the mob to order.

Ann Mar 22nd, 2002 11:43 AM

Thanks, everyone! I guess I should bite the bullet and go by myself. I was just wondering if there were any tours that included dinner and a show or something that I could latch on to.

Philip Mar 22nd, 2002 12:48 PM

Don't dread going alone. It's fine to be by yourself. It's more important to see a great show than to miss out because you didn't want to go alone.<BR><BR>However, I can't agree with the person above that says being alone may get you a better seat. It's been my experience that you get a worse seat. Most of the "couples" choose the middle sections and leave the single seats on the aisle (which in many theaters has a limited view).

GGinSF Mar 22nd, 2002 01:11 PM

I've gone to London solo on business a couple of times and went solo to see shows. During the play it makes no difference, and I've met nice people before the show and at intermission. I also second the comments about being able to get very good seats (both at the box office and at the 1/2 price booth). Enjoy London (and good taste re: your home town)!

Mathew Mar 22nd, 2002 01:27 PM

<BR>Ann,<BR><BR>Don't worry about going to one of London's greatest attractions - the theatre - solo. It's common and no big deal at all, people are friendly and it's nice to see many of the 'dress-up' for the occasion. When on business, I've often had to attend solo with no problem and I also second the fact that you can very often get some of the best seats in the house. <BR>Two tips for you : <BR>1. Don't ignore the 'last-minute-ticket' option. Unlike the majority of theatres in NA, patrons at many London theatres can return previously bought tickets which get sold at greatly reduced prices minutes before the show. For as likely as not, you can end up with great seats for half the price as I often have, and a better chance for this at the Matinees.<BR><BR>2. Don't ignore London's equivalent of 'off-Broadway". Pick up a copy of Timeout and check out the scene for some of the best, original theatre you may ever see. <BR><BR>Enjoy !