Reload this Page >

single woman and car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Barbara

I am thinking of renting a car in Portugal, and am concerned about driving solo as a single woman in a country where I don't speak the language. I want to explore northern Portugal, and I understand that trains and buses are not always ideal there. Anybody have any experience with this?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Scottster

I don't think you want to do this because Portugal has the highest per capita accident rate in Western Europe. Many drivers are reckless and it will be difficult without someone to serve as a navigator.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Sherry

One reason you might want to reconsider Barbara is trying to find your way around when you are doing all of the driving and all of the map reading by yourself. I only have experience driving in Europe in the car with someone else, and I think it would be much easier to find my way around while someone else had a map in hand in the car with me.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Joellyn

Hi Barbara, <BR>I just wanted to let you know that I travelled to Portugal in December and January, North and South, and I did not have any trouble getting a bus or train to anywhere. A couple of times I had to take a taxi, or walk which is a beautiful way to see the country side, to more remote areas but it was always reasonably cheap. Because of high accident rates and the crazy drivers, they are mad, the narrow streets in cities and the fact that you are alone. I would just do it by foot, bus or train. That's just my advuce though. Have fun.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Lesley

As a woman, I would add to the views expressed here. Driving in Portugal requires nerves of steel and does not contribute to a relaxed vacationg solo experience. The buses and trains are great and you also get to meet others which, in my opinion, enhances solo vacationing.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM
just

I thought this was going to be a thread about renting single women. Boy was I surprised.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:49 AM
janis

I have driven solo many times in the UK and Ireland and once in France. All other places I've had a co-driver or navigator. I would say that unless you are fluent in Portuguese not to try it on your own. The earlier posters have given a many good reasons.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Barbara

Thanks to everybody for their replies regarding car travel. I have rented in countries where I spoke the language, but your points are well taken. In that case, have any of you encountered difficulties traveling by train/bus as a single woman, and are any regions of the country easier to do so?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:29 PM
ellen

For an additional viewpoint, I have driven in France and Germany by myself. Could speak some French but no German. While it certainly isn't as easy to do it without a navigator, I didn't find it that problematic. Occasionally had to stop to ask directions in Germany and was able to communicate even when we didn't share the language. Just be sure to get yourself a good map.