COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Single room in historic Bruges around $50 or so per night?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:43 PM
lisa

I need a room for one person for 3 nights in Bruges in early June. Looking for something well-located to historic sites, in a safe area (I'll be travelling solo) with ensuite bathroom. What can you tell me about the following: Hotel Cavalier, Hotel Lucca, Hotel Van Eyck, Hotel Cordoeanier, Hotel Jacobs? Any of these particularly better than the others in terms of location, rooms, helpful staff, value for money, breakfast -- or is there somewhere else you'd recommend? Also, am I correct in assuming I probably won't need AC?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:56 AM

to the top

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:15 AM
arjay

Just a guess, but I'm thinking you're more likely to find your $50 category at a B&B, rather than a hotel. I found this site very helpful; it's a long listing of B&B's and most of them are clickable for detailed info.

http://www.brugge.be/Verblijf/en/gastene.htm

We landed ourselves at the Koetshuis via this site - will let you know how it was after we stay there about two weeks from now......

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:39 AM
lisa

Great -- thanks Arjay -- let me know how it is.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 09:46 AM
wes fowler

Lisa,
All of the hotels you list are two star hotels, centrally located, except for hotel Jacobs. Jacobs is a three star hotel that's a five minute walk to the nearest bus stop, twenty minutes walk to the Bell Tower. Of the remaining hotels, all are within a short walk to the Bell Tower, Cordoeanier being the closest, just a short block away. It is also the most expensive. There is a small, three star hotel, the Ensor that's about six blocks from the Bell Tower. It has eight rooms, all with private bath and a single room is priced comparably with the Lucca, about 1600BF. You might want to check by emailing them at hot[email protected]

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:45 PM
ldsant

Wes:

Have you stayed at the Hotel Ensor? I leave for Paris/Belgium in 2.5 weeks and could use some first-hand advice. Thanks. Have searched this site and came upon your response first, so please don't flame me if this has been previously asked/answered.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Judi

Anyone familiar with the Hotel DePauw in Brugge? Is it on the same level as the Hotel Lucca? Planning trip to Brugge in Sept. Thanks.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 08:29 AM
lisa

I'm also looking at a few more -- 'T Koffieboontje, Hotel Botaniek, Central, and Fevery (the latter two are recommended in Frommers) -- anyone know anything about these?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:40 AM
lisa

Wes & others -- Thanks for your input. Hotel Cordoeanier ended up being the least expensive (and one of the best-located) of all the places I checked -- 1950 BEF for a Thursday and 2100 BEF for Friday & Saturday, so I went ahead and booked it. I found it listed in a couple of guidebooks so I hope it's OK.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:07 AM
Mike

My wife and me are staying at the Van Eyck and while we haven't read any reviews, our communication with the couple who own the hotel has been charming to say the least. We have exchanged several e-mails and they did so in perfect English. They will advise of good, small restaurants, real cafes, etc. as well as what not to miss. We shall see.... BTW, the double room w/bath is @2800BF $63.00 U.S.