Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Single person, 3 months, apartment or hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/single-person-3-months-apartment-or-hotel-782046/)

joey365_000 Apr 30th, 2009 10:16 AM

Single person, 3 months, apartment or hotel?

Hi all,

I have always rented an apartment when in Paris with someone for a couple of weeks. However, I will be there for three months and by myself, an apartment no longer looks affordable. I really like to have the conveniences of an apartment ( coffee maker, hot plate etc ) but even the studios look a little pricey.

Does anyone know of anyplace that might work for me that isnt too expensive? I dont want to spend more than $2000.00 month.

thanks a lot.

Pat

lucygirl Apr 30th, 2009 10:32 AM

Rentparis.com has some apts. that are reduced to 50-60 euros per night when you stay more than 27 nights. I used this site a few years ago and was happy with the service and my apartment.

Btw, do you mean $2000 euros or dollars? Dollars could be tricky.

Cathinjoetown Apr 30th, 2009 10:41 AM

If you find a studio you like on one of the many web sites, ask for quotes based on a three-month rental. Particularly if you're traveling shoulder or winter months, you should have good luck with a discount for continuous three-month occupancy.

joey365_000 Apr 30th, 2009 10:46 AM

thanks; and yes I am talking dollars, lousy Canadian $ at that.

Pat

nukesafe Apr 30th, 2009 10:55 AM

I'm confused. Your Canadian $2000/month = about €42/day. If the choice is between an apartment, and a hotel, where are you planning on finding a hotel for €42/day?

I think you will have more luck finding a studio at those prices for a long stay.

:-)

janisj Apr 30th, 2009 10:59 AM

The only way I think you could manage at $2000CAN would be an apartment. As already mentioned, many flats have reduced rates for extended stays.

A hotel means many more meals out - a flat lets you economize by eating in more often. It would REALLY stretch your budget.

Iowa_Redhead Apr 30th, 2009 11:01 AM

One thing to consider with a hotel is that you'll be eating out for pretty much every meal. That's a huge expense, and personally I would get so sick of eating out for every little thing. Now, this is assuming the hotels you're looking at don't have a small fridge and/or microwave in the rooms.

Once you add the price of eating out vs buying groceries and cooking to the price of a hotel, I can't imagine that it would cost less than an apartment.

Good luck and have fun :)

Christina Apr 30th, 2009 11:06 AM

I"m not understanding this, either. People usually think apartments are cheaper per night than hotels (although I don't find that true for singles, at least not of the same quality, which is why I often don't rent apartments). But in your case for such a long time, I would think an apt would have to be cheaper, just rentwise. As long as you are not picky, that may be the key. For example, if you don't stay in one of the expensive central areas or want a big place, elevators, etc. But you seem to just say anything.

Even on the vacation apt. rental websites, I would think you could find something cheaper than a hotel if you aren't picky. But there are some websites that are more French that will have longer rentals and be cheaper than some of the vacation-oriented ones. For example, www.lodgis.fr has both short and long term rentals, I've used them and thought they were good. THere are others, also.

Where do you intend to find a hotel that cheap, I'm not understanding that. Maybe a hostel, I could see that, sure. But I don't think they want people long-term.

Christina Apr 30th, 2009 11:24 AM

I just checked lodgis.fr and they have lots of studios at 600 euro a month or less -- be careful on that website, the agency fee (which I think is about 30 pct) is NOT included in the rental fee for longterm rentals, only shortterm ones. But still, 600 euro plus about 200 euro or less is a lot cheaper than your 1264 euro a month price. In fact, you can go up from the cheapest studios (which will be very small and basic).

joey365_000 Apr 30th, 2009 03:31 PM

once again everyone, thank you for your suggestion.

Not sure what I was dreaming of re: a hotel, clearly I am denial!

Pat