Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Single Malt Tour - Recommendation for All-Incusive Group Tour?

Mar 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I would like to take my husband on a whisky tour of Scotland for his 40th birthday. He loves the single malt from the Islay region so I thought a 12-day trip to the West would be nice, starting from Glasgow/Edinborough and spending a couple of days there first.
I've done some research and found a few companies that do single malt tours but don't know how good they are. We don't want to drive ourselves and I thought it would be a great opportunity for my husband to meet other people who are into single malts since I am not as into it. Has anyone taken or recommend a single malt tour of the West? We wouldn't mind the trip to include some sightseeing.
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM

Welcome to Fodors. You posted this question already Just to let you know how the board works - it moves pretty fast and sometimes you may think your threads didn't "take". The way to find all of your posts is to click on your name - and they will all display in the frame to the left. It is better to top you old thread instead of starting a new one (topping is just posting a reply of any sort to a thread so it will come to the top of the list)

Now about your question - I personally have no idea about the tours you are considering. I always drive myself in Scotland. (Most folks on here tend to be independent travelers and relatively few take tours.) I've been to Scotland countless times and visited probably 20-25 different distilleries -- and there are few Scots Fodorites who can also help you.

Tell us which companies/tours you are considering.

Also - what are your reasons for not wanting to drive.
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip and the quick response!

The websites I found that offered group whisky tours were
gowestcoasting.com
scottishdreamtours.com
www.celticlegend.co.uk

Because I don't drive and this trip is for my husband's b-day, I didn't want to have him drive. While I don't think it would be an issue, there is the concern of drinking and driving. I'm not into single malts so I thought a group tour might be fun for my husband to meet other whisky enthusiasts. I'm not a huge fan of group tours myself but we've never driven ouside the US other than the Grand Cayman. Is driving around Scotland easy? We're open to doing an independent trip (the way we actually prefer), especially if you and most Fodorites recommend it.
Mar 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM

Just one observation: I would go bat-s**t crazy on a "whisky only" tour like the ones described on gowestcoasting and celticlegend sites -- and I LOVE single malts.

8 straight days of nothing but riding on a coach and visiting distilleries. Distilleries are quite interesting - but there really isn't much difference from one to another. (That is a generalization but it is almost "you've seen one you've seen them all")

You do need to see several - but not JUST distilleries. There are many other amazing things to see in the same areas and you'd be just driving by them,

If it were me and you really don't want to drive - I'd rent a cottage on Islay for a week and visit some of the distilleries on the island plus also enjoy all the scenery and other things it has to offer.

this site has some info on most of them http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u.../distilleries/

Another fodorite named sheila is the "resident Islay expert" since she holidays there frequently. Hopefully she will see your thread.

After a week on Islay you can head up to Speyside for 2 or 3 days to see some of those distileries and other sites like castles/mountains

Then finish up in Edinburgh for a few days.

I think this would be much better than a constant parade of distilleries for 8 days.

(your husband might actually enjoy driving in the west of Scotland - I know I do)
Mar 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM

ttt
Mar 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM

i would like to tour balvenie in speyside. their single malt doublewood (12 years) is amazing.
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM

You will have a great time and your husband will love it! But like the others stated there is so much to see in this area. I sugggest renting a car - your husband can always take a cab "home". Also try to http://www.worldcruising.com/classic...gistration.htm this is the site for sailors but it also gives you a list of all the most popular clasic malts distilleries in the area. People come from all over the world to sail in this tour every year! Good Luck and have fun.