Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Single in Paris 6th or 7th arrondisement under 500FF/$70 per night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 09:51 AM
lisa

I'll be travelling by myself and need a single room in Paris for 5 nights in late May, probably in a 2-star. I've narrowed it down to the 6th or 7th. I previously stayed on the right bank (1st) and once in the 15th near the Eiffel Tower, but those trips were nearly 10 years ago. This time I would like to be within walking distance of the Musee d'Orsay, Rodin Museum, Ste. Chapelle, Luxembourg Gardens, and would also like to be near restaurants, shops, etc. where I'll be comfortable walking around by myself. I'm a little torn between the 6th & 7th -- Rue Cler looks great, but is it too quiet? Safety and proximity to metro are key; don't need to be near the Eiffel Tower this time. I would like a single with ensuite bath/shower for no more than $500FF per night, or even less if possible. Looking at Grand Hotel des Balcons, Hotel du Champ de Mars, Grand Hotel Leveque, Hotel de L'Universite de St. Germain, Hotel Muguet, La Motte Piquet. Any others I should be looking at, or any of these standouts above the others in terms of location/good value?

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:10 AM
Tina

You've hilighted several of the better budget priced accommadations to stay at in Paris. And you can find recommendations in past posts on this site. <BR> <BR>My vote is for Grand Hotel des Balcons. <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:10 AM
s.fowler

I've stayed at La Mott Picquet. It's well located and a nice 2 star, although the 7eme is much quieter than the 5eme for example. It's a very residential and very Parisian neighborhood, which I like -- but that might bore others! The one drawback is the metro line it is on tends to require a train change to get to the major tourist attractions.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Capo

I stayed in the 7th once, right around the corner from the Rue Cler and, while I like Rue Cler itself, the rest of the 7th (besides the Eiffel Tower) didn't do much for me. Just too far away from most everything else I like in Paris. I feel much more in the "heart" of Paris in the 6th so, whatever hotel you choose, I'd recommend staying there. The Rue de Buci, in the 6th, has a great little street marché which, while not as big as Rue Cler's, has just as much (if not more) character.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:23 AM
carol

I'm also a single traveller, and I prefer the 6th for the reasons stated above. I'd go for Grand Balcons, Luxembourg Gardens and Ste. Chapelle. For the D'Orsay and Rodin, I"d go for L'Universite; it's in a great haut antiques window shopping neighborhood, too.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:53 PM
StCirq

There's a little hotel with the unassuming name of Hôtel de France that sits on the Avenue de la Tour Maubourg kitty corner to Les Invalides, about halfway between the Ecole Militaire and Tour Maubourg métro stops. It's a sweet little place with a bit of charm, very nice staff, some small rooms and some decent-sized rooms, nothing fancy but everything you need and clean and safe. You should be able to get a room there in your price range. Website is http://www.paris.org/paris-cgi/PDB/hotel.cgi?htl2231

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:09 AM
lisa

Thanks Tina, S. Fowler, Capo, Carol, & St. Cirq for your thoughts -- I'm leaning more toward the 6th now and may go with Balcons. I didn't know about Rue de Buci -- are there any hotels on it in my price range (Hotel de Buci is not, unfortunately)?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:00 PM
Capo

Hi Lisa. You're welcome, glad to be of assistance. There are a few hotels on the Rue de Buci (you've already found out about one) but I don't think any would be in your price range. A few years ago I stayed at this tiny little charming budget (as I recall, my single room was about $55) hotel called the Hotel du Nesle (on the little street of the same name, very close to the Seine) but the only problem is that they only take walk-ins, no reservations. The Balcons would be an excellent choice, in a great location in the 6th, IMO.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:22 PM
lisa

Capo -- I e-mailed Balcons today so hopefully they will respond. <BR> <BR>I've also been looking at a 2* called the Welcome Hotel, in the 6th, but can't find a website for it (when I do a search all I bring up are "Welcome to the _____ Hotel!". There are good comments about it on the paris.org site but otherwise, nothing. I noticed it because of its proximity to Buci Market -- seems like a good location. Anyone out there w/ more info? <BR> <BR>I'm no longer considering the hotels in the Rue Cler area and have crossed Champ de Mars, Leveque, Muguet and La Motte Piquet off my list even though they all look good -- I'd just like to be a little more centrally located & either in the 6th or closer to it -- am now looking at Regent's Hotel (not Le Regent, which is more), Hotel du Palais Bourbon, Hotel du Globe, Hotel de Nevers, Hotel St. Pierre, and Hotel de Lille in addition to L'Universite and Welcome (I know, my list is growing instead of shrinking). Balcons is probably still my first choice though.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 04:05 PM
Pat

I understand that the LE Regent Hotel on rue Dauphine has front rooms and back rooms. The back rooms are 750F per night, small but beautifully decorated and the service is fine. The location is also premier. The front rooms with twin beds are considerably more (1150 FF). If I were going as a single or with spouse, I would definitely expore this option.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:49 PM
Reg

Lisa, <BR>HOTEL SEVRES AZUR SAINT-GERMAIN <BR>A friend of ours lived in Paris for 5 years working for American Airlines. She is now single and returns to Paris once or twice a year for work and vacation. This is the hotel she always stays at, and the area of Paris she feels is safe and close to everything. <BR> <BR>It's in the sixth arrondisement near Luxembourg Palace (5 or 6 blocks), and only a short distance to the river Seine <BR>Ask for the room facing the street with the small balcony. My wife and I were there in late August of last year. It's two star..but very nice, clean and reasonable. <BR> <BR>You can see pictures at http://www.paris-hotel.com. <BR> <BR>It's a great location..good shops & restaurants..metro and bus. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip wherever you stay! <BR> <BR>Judy and Reg...Tulsa, OK

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Christina

I don't think Welcome is on any web sites with pictures or info; it is on a few that just list addresses and phone numbers. I've read a few decent reviews of it in guidebooks (it's in Cheap Sleeps with good comments), the consensus seems to be that it's a decent hotel for that price but rooms are very small so it's not so good for two people, and that it can be very noisy. If you've seen it, that's no surprise as it is right at the corner of bd St-Germain and rue de Seine. One guy on here stayed there a few months ago and commented in some post that he liked it, I think he said he'd had a better room elsewhere for that price but really liked the convenient location (not sure if you could find that post, I think his name was Chris but may be remembering wrong). There are not a lot of good two-star hotels in the 6th as it's such an expensive area. I think the ones that often are mentioned as good values other than the ones you have are: Hotel Recamier, Hotel du Globe, Hotel du Lys, and Michelet Odeon.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
geo

Last October we had some confusion about departure date (my fault)from the Hotel Millesime-very pleasant 3star around the corner from from the Hotel Wellcome, so we spent the last night there-it is a DUMP!..unpleasant staff, and very noisy due to early deliveries to the market across the street.Bonne chance

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 08:20 AM
lisa

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Hotel de l'Universite Saint-Germain at 22 Rue de L'Universite, or for Regent's Hotel at 44 Rue Madame in the 6th? (Not Le Regent, which is different.). Also, anyone have any comments on either one? <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel des Balcons is quoting me 544FF for a single, which is a little more than I wanted to pay, although I may take it if I can't find another decent single in the 6th for under 500FF.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:15 AM
dan woodlief

I have stayed on Rue Cler. Yes, it is quiet. Good for sleeping but probably not the best if you like having a lot of nighttime activities nearby. We were always off somewhere else though. It is convenient for a quick bite in the morning, there is a post office, the street market is nice, and the metro stop near the Ecole Militaire is convenient. <BR> <BR>You should take a look at the latest issue of National Geographic Traveler. It has a good listing of hotels under $100 all over the city. It even tells you what the best rooms are.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Lesli

Hotel Regent: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006regs.htm (you can e-mail from the site) <BR> <BR>I tried to make reservations at Regent's for my last trip, but they were booked, so contact them quickly! <BR> <BR>You may also want to do a search here for "solo paris" to find prior postings recommending inexpensive hotels for solo travelers. <BR>