Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Single Female Travelling (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/single-female-travelling-680711/)

nycrani Feb 17th, 2007 06:21 PM

Single Female Travelling

Hi!

I've travelled quite a bit with family or friends, however, NEVER alone outside the US. I know this is a vague question but can anybody recommend a good European city (apart from London, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris, Germany----been here already) for a single female in early 30's to be travel to? I prefer small quaint villages, beautiful scenery, hikes/walks, good food.......safety is clearly an issue as well as public transportation and ease to get around.

Thanks,

nycrani

nbujic Feb 17th, 2007 06:26 PM

"a good European city (apart from London, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris, Germany----been here already) for a single female.."

If you are looking for a safe city easy to get around :
Stockholm

"prefer small quaint villages, beautiful scenery, hikes/walks....
do you you wish to stay in a city
or a village?

Mimar Feb 17th, 2007 06:29 PM

There was a single woman staying at our B&B in the Cotswolds (in England); she was walking the footpaths. Pretty countryside and the cutest of villages. Plus companies to help organize your stops and transport your luggage if desired.

Another thought is the Cinque Terre, pretty hillside villages on the Italian Riviera. There's a walk/hike between the 5 towns and another one over the Portofino peninsula. (Google San Fruttoso.) The train runs along this coast, and, depending on the time of year, there are boats. Other interesting stops -- on the train or boat -- are Camogli and Genoa.

StCirq Feb 17th, 2007 06:34 PM

Your question is really confusing:

Are you looking for a city or a wmall quaiint village?

nycrani Feb 17th, 2007 07:30 PM

I'd like a city to fly into and start off from, and then to visit some villages. A little bit of both would be nice.

nycrani

nbujic Feb 17th, 2007 07:39 PM

well then,
Dublin or Edinburgh
with side trips ( also English speaking, if you have some conserns about being alone)

flybob Feb 17th, 2007 07:43 PM

How about Seville aster a few days in Madrid

LoveItaly Feb 17th, 2007 08:05 PM

A thought nycrani, what about flying into Venice (a very safe place) and than visit various locations in the Region of Veneto. You can utilize the trains and I think from what you have posted you might enjoy this area. Best wishes.

harsha Feb 17th, 2007 11:26 PM

Switzerland,any day.What do you think of when you hear Switzerland? The Alps, lakes, green meadows, international sophistication and diplomacy, 4 languages and cultures bonded into one country usually come to mind. There is so much more to see and appreciate! Discover the culture, food and wine of Switzerland’s four regions. Swiss gastronomy excels in its tastes and variety as do its wines some of which are unique to Switzerland.Especially Interlaken,Ballenberg, Giessbach, Brienz.
This, I think, is clearly what you are looking for.

annw Feb 17th, 2007 11:34 PM

Ireland! Especially the west -- Galway for city, but plenty of country and small towns. EASY for a solo woman traveler. (I've done it).
Scotland (Edinburgh, the Borders)
Switzerland (as previously described)
Austria - (Salzburg?)

luvtotravel Feb 18th, 2007 12:14 AM

There are so many places to list -- where does one begin. When I was looking for a safe place to travel alone, I went to Mykonos and Santorini. I enjoyed it so much, I went back to Greece the very next year.

Venice--be sure to visit Burano. Not exactly in your description of quaint with hiking, but you can do plenty of walking, and it is beautiful with lots to do. I spent five days there alone and was thoroughly entertained.

Santa Margherita Ligure with visits to Cinque Terre, Portofino, and Camogli. You could fly into Venice, train to SML and fly home from Milan, Pisa, or Genoa.

nytraveler Feb 18th, 2007 11:46 AM

Good cities:

Stockholm
Copenhagen
Prague

If you really want a mix of cities and small towns head for Switzerland. Stay part of the time in Lucerne, part in Geneva and part in one of the cute towns in the Bernese Oberland.