Reload this Page >

Single female traveling to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Cheryl

I am a 46 year old female who is planning on going to Paris in Sept. I was wondering if it is a safe place to visit, and a good hotel to stay <BR> for 7 nights.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Christina

Yes, it is a safe place to visit; most major W European cities are very safe, although I've heard recent reports about crime increases in Barcelona that don't sound good. Paris is very safe. You should give more info on the kind of hotel you want and where, what you want to do when there, and price range to get the best suggestions, as there are hundreds of hotels in Paris.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Bob Brown

Email me directly and I will fill you in on where my wife and I stayed. And I will ask her to comment on your question about safety. In general, let me say that in the area around Raspail and Montparnasse, I saw no problems at night. We were usually back in the hotel by 11:30, so I cannot comment on 2 AM conditions.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 09:34 AM
elaine

Cheryl <BR>I've been to Paris by myself a few times and I never felt unsafe. Violent crime is uncommon. On the other hand, I live in a large city in the US, and am used to exercising some reasonable precautions wherever I go (to avoid pickpockets, etc) without in the least feeling scared or paranoid. <BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Dena

Cheryl, <BR> <BR>I have been there on my own and felt very safe. I was never out much past 10 though since I was by myself. I stayed at Hotel LeLoiret which is in the 1st arrondisment. It was about 2 minutes from the Louvre and a metro stop so it was very convenient to get around. The hotel had nice rooms, a single was $70 per night.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Ann

We lived south of Paris and visited there often. Like any city there are areas that ARE questionable if not exactly dangerous. These are not places you'd be at all likely to stray to as a tourist. You probably know that Paris is set up in numbered districts called arrondissements. These are numbered so that they spiral outward in a counterclockwise fashion from the 1st which is the area of the Champs Elysee. I would book a hotel in any of these: 1st, 4th-7th. I would use the Paris Metro as much as possible because it is safe and a very, very fast, efficient, and cheap way to travel. (If you don't know how it works write me direct.) You can absolutely rely on the Metro, the taxi drivers, and the safety of the streets in the areas I've mentioned. I would not hesitate to venture out of these areas on the Metro, particularly (a bias of mine) to visit Sacre Coeur on its hill to the North of the Seine. If you want to go to Versailles, again the Metro. Coming into the city from Charles de Gaulle is a good time to use a taxi, not for security reasons, but because the Metro is not a great place to be hauling your bags (I'm thinking ergonomics, not crime). I'd be pleased to help you out further if you'd like.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:15 PM
ParisFan

I spent two weeks in Paris last Fall, the second week alone. I'd been to Paris several times before, but this may have been the best trip of all. (I'm a woman in my '50s.) <BR> <BR>I bought a Carte Orange so I could hop on and off the Metro without having to stop and think about whether I had enough tickets or whether I should spend the money. This was a wonderful idea. <BR> <BR>I walked all over town with no particular purpose in mind and no time table. Wonderful! <BR> <BR>I found that if I went into a restaurant for dinner around 8 p.m. I was seated and treated extremely well. (It seemed to depend on the type of restaurant: the more expensive, the better the treatment.) <BR> <BR>But then I'm a person who likes a lot of time alone, and I don't mind (for example) having dinner alone in a fancy restaurant. <BR> <BR>My advice to you: DO IT!

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 04:40 PM
Nancy Farestveit

I spent a month alone and stayed in my friend's apartment in the 7th. I can personally vouch for the safety of this arrondisement; it may not be as lively as the Bastille, the Marais or the St Germaine, but these areas are easily accessible by Metro. Lots of families and older folks live in the 7th so it's very quiet and contained at night. I walked around late at night in my neighborhood and never felt unsafe. There are many hotels in the various price ranges. I have recommendations, e-mail me if you'd like. Have a great trip. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:33 AM
suzanne

Hi, <BR>Just a note to say enjoy Paris and if you would prefer the safety of travelling with a group of other single travellers (Lone Travellers) you could try The Happy Wanderers - they are based in Ireland and the e-mail address is [email protected] they don't just do Paris they travell all over the world. Have a great time.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:11 PM
jessica

hey, <BR> I stayed in paris for a month and a half studying like 3 years ago. I had a chambre de bonne (maid's room) in the 6th. I would go out late and come home at around 5am with no problems. i was in the st germain area, next to two metro stops and a taxi stand at the corner. bars and cafes evrywhere, people around at all hours. I was never scared, always extremely safe. e-mail me if you have any questions.