Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Single day train ride (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/single-day-train-ride-113371/)

Gerry K Mar 19th, 2001 02:29 PM

Single day train ride

I'll be spending several days in <BR>Amsterdam this May. Where might I <BR>go for a train ride -- round trip, <BR>same day -- and get a good view of <BR>the Dutch countryside? (Or see something <BR>else for that matter.) <BR> <BR>Many thanks, <BR> <BR>Gerry K

Patrick Mar 19th, 2001 06:06 PM

This question is even easier than it seems as you can go virtually anywhere in Holland by train for a train trip. Many would recommend Delft, where the blue and white tiles and china are made and you will pass some pretty countryside getting to it. My favorite sight is looking across the fields and seeing a boat go through it, actually in a canal, but they look like they are sailing the fields. I think my favorite suggestion would be to go to Enkhuizen. It is a quaint old town on the old "Zuider Zee", there are canals, old fashioned bridges, a small harbour and a delightful shopping district. There is a large "open air" museum there with lots of old buildings and costumed workers. From there you can take a boat ride on the "sea" if you like. Near there is Hoorn, another attractive old town with a very lively port. Alkmaar is a fun place to go for the weekly cheesemarket. Less than an hour outside of Amsterdam is Harlem which is a very interesting old town with beautiful architecture. You can even do a "city" trip by going to either the Hague or Rotterdam, easy as day trips, but if you have only one day, I'd opt for the more quaint smaller towns.

Sjoerd Mar 19th, 2001 09:38 PM

If your trip is in early May, make sure your itinerary includes the stretch from Haarlem to Leiden: you will see the flower fields (tulips!) from the train. Also: a return train ticket allows you to alight and get back on the train as often as you like; for instance: a return ticket to Delft allows you to stop in Haarlem, Leiden and/or Den Haag. <BR>Have a nice trip.

Gerry K Mar 20th, 2001 04:33 AM

Thanks, Patrick and Sjoerd. <BR> <BR>Your suggestions fill me with <BR>anticipation. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Gerry

wes fowler Mar 20th, 2001 08:50 AM

Gerry, <BR>If you'll be in Amsterdam in early May by all means follow Sjoerd's suggestion about the bulb fields; the colors of the millions of tulips are extraordinary. If you're traveling later in the month, Patrick's recommendation regarding Enkhuizen is well worth your time. There are, in fact, two museums in Enkhuizen, one indoors, the other outdoors. Both are devoted to life in the former Zuider Zee fishing villages. The town of Enkhuizen has a number of fine 17th century houses in the Renaissance style and typically is laced with canals. <BR> <BR>If you're interested in the works of the artist Van Gogh, consider a train ride to Arnhem and then bus to the Kroller-Muller museum with its large collection of Van Goghs and a fine sculpure garden set in the forest of de Hoge Veluwe National Park. There are free bicycles available you can ride throughout the park. The ride makes for an interesting diversion.