Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Single biggest tourist destination in Europe--Guess????

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:41 AM
jeannine

In today's Wall St Journal, page B6, it states that Disneyland Paris is the single biggest tourist destination in Europe. I never would have guessed that!!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:16 AM
Rex

Because we forget that MOST tourists in Europe - - are FROM europe. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:45 AM
Mickey

Thank goodness; since Pearl Harbor is a bomb (no pun intended)-- <BR>something to boost profits!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Madoc

Wow, i would have thought Rothenburg-ob-der-tauber or Heidelberg

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:08 PM
Christina

I don't get the Wall Street Journal but if those were their exact words, I think that is wrong. It may be the most popular "tourist attraction" (meaning one thing or building) but France, for example, as a country is the top tourist destination in Europe from what I read recently and receives many more visitors yearly than Disneyland. I'm sure other cities and countries do, also; I believe I've heard Prague is most popular tourist destination in Europe, but I'm not sure of that one (a friend of mine who lived there said that, so he was biased), as I would think Paris would be, but it could be Prague. Paris gets about 20 million visitors, Disneyland only 12 million. Now I read online (Prague Post, Eng-lang newspaper) that Prague gets about 80 million but that seems way too high given all of France only gets about 50-70 million. If that were true, I think Czech Republic would be top tourist country and I know I've read lots of places it is France.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:11 PM
xxx

Christina: <BR>Last I checked, Disneyland Paris was in France.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:57 PM
tina

quote <BR>"Today, Disneyland Paris is the single biggest tourist destination in Europe" <BR> <BR>The article was about how places in Europe are now opening theme parks that have an "American" flair--once considered much too gauche for Europe.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:02 PM
Capo

As a specific tourist destination, this doesn't surprise me.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:04 PM
Book Chick

Capo, <BR>While not surprising, it does render me a bit nauseated. (But on the other side of the coin, I suppose it goes right along with the Venice/Paris?NYC themes in Las Vegas!) <BR>BC

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:11 PM
Bob Brown

One thing I have learned in riding about Europe, making stacks of money is not gauche, anywhere I have been. <BR>Wait until the former communist dominated areas start mastering capitalistic endeavors!!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:34 PM
Rex

Why nauseated "k" (BookChick)? - - if I was European, I would want to take my family to Disneyland! <BR> <BR>Are you nauseated that Disneyworld (and Orlando in general) is America's number one destination? <BR> <BR>I don't get this. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:44 PM
Book Chick

Rex, <BR>During the time I was in school in Europe, I felt kind of saddened whenever I sensed that certain American trends were making their way across the Atlantic & "Americanizing" European culture. I guess I was in the middle of enjoying Italian & French history & culture so much, I didn't want to think of anything being superimposed upon it & potentially cancelling it out. Now logically, I realize that Versailles & Euro Disney can exist in the same country, because they do, in reality. I enjoy the Provence area so much, for example, that I cringe at the thought that someday on the way to Orange from Avignon, one might see a sign for the exit to "Six Drapeaux Over Texas"! I do see your point, however--if I were a European parent, I would adore being able to take my kids to Euro Disney instead of going to the hassle & expense of long flights, long lines & perhaps limited hotel space. My feelings remind me a little bit of the argument over all the proposed memorials in the Washington, DC area. It's absolutely desirable & correct to honor all the war veterans, but will the mall eventually become a set of memorials, such that each is indistinguishable from the next? <BR> <BR>Sigh...darned if I do, darned if I don't... <BR>BC

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:47 PM
Capo

Guess I have the same question as Rex on this, BC...why nauseated? (I'd assume the great majority of visitors to Disneyland Paris are European.) <BR> <BR>While I wouldn't go to Disneyland or Disneyworld here in the U.S. as an adult (assuming I wasn't taking any kids, that is), I was fortunate to visit both of those places when I was a kid and loved them.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:50 PM
Rex

BC - - well I understand the "sigh" you feel at the homogenization of culture (and specifically, "touristic" and entertainment venues) around the world. But let all those Slovenians, Danes and Portuguese flock to Disneyland Paris. Maybe there will be fewer of them in Les Andelys, Oberkirch and Bassano del Grappa. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:50 PM
Capo

Never mind, BC...just read your response to Rex. <BR> <BR>"Six Drapeaux Over Texas"...*LOL*!! Now, if the sign said "Sex Drapeaux Over Texas", I'd be intrigued and might be tempted to head for exit... :~)

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:52 PM
Book Chick

Thanks, guys. And brother Capo, lead us not into another thread on sex, lest you & I be bashed metaphorically for our liberal views! <BR>BC

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:20 PM
Capo

Je suis desole...I could not help myself! <BR> <BR>Anyway, thanks for helping to keep me on the straight and narrow path, O Wise Literary Fowl. :~)