Single 20-30's in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for curiosity's sake, how is the singles population in Edinburgh or Glasgow? Are there a lot of educated young single people? more women than men-men than women? People got me thinking about life for singles in cities earlier when I was reading a DC post (I'm heading there next weekend). It's a subject I think all of us in that age group who are single would be interested in. I ask about Scotland because it's one of the places I've seriously considered moving for years
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM

Well, I met my husband here in Edinburgh ! Yes, there are lots of young educated singles in Edinburgh and Glasgow (can't speak for anywhere else) and lots of activities/venues aimed at them. Having moved here from west London I'd say there isn't the shortage of single straight men I experienced there ! I think it's pretty evenly balanced here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Are there a lot of educated young single people? </i>&quot;

No, they are all cretins and cave men. Sorry - you probably didn't mean it the way it looks in B&amp;W but that is one of the strangest questions I've seen on here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; No, they are all cretins and cave men. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Especially on Lothian Road on a Saturday night

Personally I thought all the &quot;educated young single people&quot; had gone off to London to make their fortunes and constantly complain about the English
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM

So, janisj, are you one of the cretins or a cavewoman? And do you use Geico insurance? (those over in the UK might not get that - we have Geico commercials that use cavemen in them)
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

sorry I didn't realize that it would be taken as an insult to ask if there were a lot of educated younger people. I thought Americans were the sensitive ones! It's a perfectly logical question if you are 20-30 and looking to relocate. There are entire websites designed to give one an idea of how many degree holders, people in each industry, universities, etc. there are in an area. I've never understood why people feel compelled to give negative responses to posts that offer no advice. I really do like this site and all of the great information people (usually) on all the places in the world. I've gotten invaluable tips about many of the cities I've visited and am hoping to find the same for places I'm considering relocating to. Thanks again Fodorites
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i> I thought Americans were the sensitive ones! </i>&quot;

Maybe you are right - since I AM American

My point was the &quot;educated&quot; bit made it sound like you suspect Scotland is full of a lot of school leavers. Well - how many drop outs live in your own home town??
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM

They're both university cities (at least two apiece), so there are plenty of students and young academics around. Edinburgh has the Scottish Parliament and Executive, so there are all the people that go with that, and law and financial services. Glasgow is a more generally commercial city, and proud of reinventing itself as a bit more go-ahead and culturally alternative than Edinburgh.

I don't think you need worry about a possible lack of social life in either place, but if you're thinking of moving, there are of course a lot of other issues to be considered, not least immigration rules and employment prospects. Not to mention the cost of housing.

It might be worth looking for messageboards and websites local to both places, and those for expatriates who've made the move.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM

Hi Winesavvy,

My husband and I moved to Edinburgh from the states almost 2 years ago and absolutely love it here. Most of our friends are single - we're actually having trouble finding married couples to hang out with! There's tons to do here for anyone - but there's definately lots of clubs/pubs/restaurants/etc. We haven't made it to Glasgow yet, but I hear it has even more clubbing and concerts and such.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM

'The List' is a fortnightly listings magazine covering Edinburgh and Glasgow : here's a link to its website which may give you an idea of goings on - http://www.list.co.uk/
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone- Caroline I think I've gotten posts from you before, I appreciate the publication link- I'll check it out
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM

you could use the freedom of information act to find out.

I know one of the first requests under this act was from a young woman wanting to know how many single male police officers there were in her area.

I've no idea why
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM

&lt;&lt;&lt; Most of our friends are single - we're actually having trouble finding married couples to hang out with! &gt;&gt;&gt;

BUT how many are couples - just unmarried