2 weeks in Italy & Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Rome and will likely have 3 for 4 nights there before I need to be in Venice for a night or two until I catch a bus to Pula, Croatia for 3 days. From there I'll have Monday through Sunday to explore Croati and ultimately fly out of Zagreb. Any suggestions would be great especially places to stay in Rome. I'd love,once in Croatia, to drive down from Pula to Dubbrovnik and somehow get back to Zagreb. Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM

I just watched an Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations" in Croatia. You should see if it is available to view online. He loved Croatia and especially the wine.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM

You can continue to take buses down from Pula to Dubrovnik and back to Zagreb if you wish, but it would sure be easier to rent a car and drive, if you can afford it. You can drop the car in a different city than the one you picked it up. Driving in Croatia is fairly easy.

The city of Rovinj (near Pula) is supposed to be really nice - I have not been there. I have been to Zagreb, Split, and Dubrovnik; I also highly recommend a stop at the amazing Plitvice Lakes National Park as your last stop before Zagreb.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:40 PM

What is your hotel budget/night? That will help people advise you.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the responses! I actually plan on going to Plitvie Lakes after Croatia. Also I will be sure to check out the No Reservation episode. Great idea and I enjoy that show.

My budget can vary. I have money to spend and I'm with a friend, but I don't think it's necessary to spend too much if I don't have to. I'd say it's in the $30 to $90 a night. I can cheap it out somedays and treat ourselves other.

FYI I'm leaning towards renting a car. Thanks again!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM

I believe you are making a few mistakes in your itinerary. Pula is a nice place to visit for 4 hours or so but if you are going to stay overnight Rovinj is much nicer.

I would forget taking the bus from Venice to Pula (by the way to get to Pula from Venice you must go by Rovinj which is about 1 hour north) and take the ferry from Venice directly to Rovinj. Rovinj is a great little resort town with wonderful beaches, restaurants and islands to visit. It is easily worth a 3 or 4 night stay.

In Rovinj you can rent a car and visit some of the nearby hill towns on the Istria Peninsula...particularly Motovun which is the home town of Mario Andretti.

You can drive to Plitvice Jerza, which is in Croatia. The drive should take about 4 hours. All the roads are good but only two lane. In fact, I have never seen a four lane road all the times I have visited Croatia and I have pretty much been everywhere.

Stay in Plitvice Jerza for 2 nights. That will give you a day-and-a-half of hiking time if you leave Rovinj early...which I recommend.

After Pitivice Jerza drive to Split which takes about 4 hours. In Split you have the choice of driving on to Dubrovnik or dropping your car and taking the bus to Dubrovnik. I recommend the latter so you can enjoy the scenery. Either way, the trip takes about 4 1/2 hours. FYI, you must pass through Bosnia Herzegovina along the way so you will have some customs and immigration issues which are easier to deal with when on the bus.

Dubrovnik is easily worth 4 nights. There is much to see and do. A car is not necessary unless you plan on driving to Mostar or Montenegro.

From Dubrovnik I would fly to Zagreb because is it a long way by car or bus.

Given the places you plan on visiting your budget of $30 to $90 is unrealistic...unless that is per person double occupancy.

When we are in Rome we stay at the Hotel Italia on Via Venezia... http://www.hotelitaliaroma.it/

It is nice, safe and inexpensive. This time of year you can get a double with AC for $125 to $150 including a nice breakfast.

Enjoy your trip!