Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SIM Card in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sim-card-in-greece-1289446/)

Sumanhm May 2nd, 2017 10:30 PM

SIM Card in Greece

Hi,

We will be travelling to Greece from 1 - 14 June 2017. Where can we get a sim card for 2 weeks and how much would it cost? Is there one we can pick up at at the airport itself? We will need about 4 GB of internet and a little talk time to make local calls. Which is the best service provider in Greece?

Thanks in advance
~Suman

kawh May 2nd, 2017 11:41 PM

I used Wind, and don't remember the price for 3 weeks, but i was kind of amazed at how inexpensive it was. i think i had 3 gb internet and talk time.... but i didn't end up needing that much internet because it seemed like most everywhere i went, there was free internet.

I don't like to get my cards in the airport because i'm always anxious about getting to the hotel... and as in athens, had a ride waiting for me via the hotel. i easily found a store the next morning... in the heart of historic athens.

it has sometimes been my experience that stores will tell you that they are out of cards because it can take so long to get you registered and running... passport etc etc... that it's not really worth their time when they could be selling a phone. however, there was a dedicated guy just selling cards at the wind store i visited and it was super easy and pretty fast. (30 minutes??)

you can click on the map link at wind.gr to see phone store locations. just make sure it's working in every way before you leave the store.

Heimdall May 3rd, 2017 12:41 AM

Cosmote and Vodafone are the two other main Greek providers. There is a Germanos electronics shop at the airport where you can buy a SIM. The shop is to the right just after you pass through boarding pass check at the entrance to domestic departures, so easy to reach if you have a connecting flight to the islands.

If you re staying in Athens there are a number of other Germanos shops as well as shops operated by the individual providers. All but the smallest islands will also have shops where you can buy a SIM, and you can get top-ups at most supermarkets.

I don't think it makes much difference which SIM you choose, but given the choice I would go with Cosmote. Ask the shop assistant to set up the SIM in your phone, because the instructions will be in Greek.

brotherleelove2004 May 3rd, 2017 06:53 AM

About the shop assistance: When the SIM is first installed and the activation has begun they will tell you to wait 30 minutes before you proceed with the completion of the process. So if you are on a tight schedule to catch another flight this might be a problem. The last time I bought a Cosmote SIM at the airport, just a year ago, the shop clerk who was helping me failed to give me the correct instructions for how to proceed after that 30 minute wait and I had to go back to the store to have her finish the process for me. It was annoying and when I asked for help she reacted as if it were my fault.

If you're not able to get past the security for the domestic departures area where Germanos is located (you need a boarding pass) there is a post office at the airport where another brand of SIM is sold, located in the Arrivals area. I don't remember if it's Vodafone or Wind, but any of these 3 will give you what you need.