Notices

SIM card for iPad in Berlin

Sep 27th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

SIM card for iPad in Berlin

I have heard that I can purchase a SIM card for an iPad in Berlin that will give me access to the internet while touring the city away from my hotel? Has anyone had experience doing this and where in Berllin did you go to purchase the card? We are staying in Mitte over near Museum Island at the Arcotel JFK.
Sep 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I found a website from 2010 (apologies, it's in German: http://www.billig-tarife.de/partner/...559&partner=bt) which says that 4 of the main carriers sell the micro SIMs you need for the iPad: T-mobile, E-Plus, Vodaphone, o2. There are 2 discounters that sell them but to my knowledge they don't have shopfronts (blau.de, Simyo) so you might try googling them if you think you want to go down that road. You might run into problems if the shop you go to insists on you having a rental contract for at least 6 months with you - I've had that problem in the past with buying ordinary SIMs. I would probably try o2 as they seem to have cheaper rates than the others.

Lavandula
Sep 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Er, to disambiguate: I think some providers like you to have a fixed address, but others do not care. I know this because on previous trips I have bought prepaid SIMs from Lebara and Tchibo with no problem but then subsequently found out that another Tchibo insisted on seeing a six-month lease to prove your address. I then found out that the old Tchibo card was still valid so kept using that. So it's worth testing a few providers or individual shops to see how fussy the shop is going to be.

Lavandula

Search this Thread