Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Silly question I know but the more I think about the more I can't make up my mind. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/silly-question-i-know-but-the-more-i-think-about-the-more-i-cant-make-up-my-mind-287273/)

leanneb Jan 18th, 2008 04:32 PM

Silly question I know but the more I think about the more I can't make up my mind.

I will be turning 40 in September and I finally get to see Venice. But we only have 9 days Is it silly to do a fly to Venice spend 4 days then go to Paris for 5 days and fly home. Or should I stick to italy, a few days Venice, Florence, Rome.

lauraallais Jan 18th, 2008 04:38 PM

It depends whether you prefer to see Paris or Florence/Rome.

With 9 days (does this include transportation days?), I think the Venice/Paris options would be great.

leanneb Jan 18th, 2008 05:03 PM

Hi Lauraallias this is where I get muddled. I would like to see all of these places, (Venice is the must see I always dreamed of going there) and worry what if I don't get to go to Europe again. The 9 days would include the transportation days between places.

Dejais Jan 18th, 2008 05:10 PM

I vote Paris and Venice. And fly in between to save travel time. Or try an open jaw ticket (which works out the best). I have been to all the places you mentioned and if I had to choose two it would definitely be these. This way you also get a taste of two countries.

nametaken Jan 18th, 2008 05:19 PM

I also vote for Paris and Venice in whatever travel that you chose. With the number of days you have to travel this should be ideal--you will have enough time to really see both places. Paris is a great intro to Europe, and Venice is a very unique place, and time is taking its toll on this wonderful place. Have a great trip. Forget Florence and Rome for this trip. Do those at a later time.

nancy Jan 18th, 2008 05:28 PM

I think your first idea is perfect. You will be visiting my two favorite cities. Venice is so easy to meander around and perhaps take a boat trip to one of the islands.

I would suggest you make a plan for Paris. That is, list the various sites you want to see so you are not backtracking constantly. The metro makes it so easy to get around but you'll want to walk between places. The Streetwise Paris map is perfect for planning.

franco Jan 18th, 2008 05:44 PM

Why don't you visit one place thoroughly, spend nine great days in Venice, and leave the other destinations for future trips?

KL467 Jan 18th, 2008 05:58 PM

I recommend Venice and Paris. Nine days is plenty of time. Be sure to take a gondola ride!

treble Jan 18th, 2008 06:06 PM

Paris and Venice--what a romantic time you will have!!! You can just wander in Venice, but do make some plans for PAris--including reservations for meals.

tuscanlifeedit Jan 18th, 2008 06:11 PM

Yes, it's your birthday trip! You should go exactly where you would like, and Venice and Paris are doable, especially if you fly open jaws and fly between cities as has been suggested.

I would actually have a plan for both, but I am big on planning. Venice has so much to see, and although I have been there 5 times, the last time for a solid week in October, I have not seen all that I want to. So I think it's important to plan for Venice, too.

If food is a concern to you, you should definetly plan your restaurants. Good eating in Venice definetly takes some planning.

Paris is easier, because even the street food is of consistently pretty high quality, but you can still run into some bad meals.

If part of the allure is dining, do plan.

MECindylou Jan 18th, 2008 08:00 PM

Of course you'll go back; at least for your 50th. :)

I always try to squeeze too much in, thinking I won't get back...either way, you'll wish you could see the other places, so just go ahead and do what your gut tells you.

I agree with the others to make a plan, just leave some unplanned time to wander since often those times make the best memories. I had 7 nights in Paris recently, packed in as many museums as possible (art lover...) and still, the best memories are those unexpected moments where something serendipitous happens.

That said, try to get out to Burano - fishing village island in the lagoon - beautiful and interesting. And see the movie "Summertime" before you go. I'd give Venice 3-4 nights, if you fly there first, then spend the rest in Paris. Venice is great, but to me, it's the atmosphere of the city that's the draw, rather than the tons of sights I know...there is plenty to do if you had more time...), but Paris has SO much, you may be frustrated more, with too little time there.

I think to do Venice, Florence, and Rome with only 9 days would be too hectic. Stick with plan A!

icithecat Jan 18th, 2008 08:54 PM

Aren't these the most wonderful of dilemas.

I settled on a London Paris London itinerary for my 50th next month.

We have never done the Eurostar and since the New station at St. Pancras is open now, I thought this the perfect time.

Happy birthday wherever you end up.

LoveItaly Jan 18th, 2008 08:59 PM

Hello leanneb, I too think trying to visit Venice, Florence and Rome in nine days would be to many cities in that amount of time. As much as I "love Italy" in that you have expressed an interest in Venice and Paris I think your itinerary would make for a beautiful 40th birthday. I don't know a woman who has not loved Venice and Paris. And you will get back to Italy! Your next trip can be to Rome and Florence and perhaps some of the Tuscany countyside.

leanneb Jan 18th, 2008 10:25 PM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies.We are going to go for the Venice and Paris,so now time to start making a plan instead of just surfing and dreaming. Whoo Hooo !!!!!!

suze Jan 19th, 2008 11:04 AM

Oops, it's already decided... but I was tuning in to say Venice & Paris make a wonderful combination! And are just right for a 9 day trip imo.

We went between cities on the overnight train (transfered Milan) in a private compartment - which while not for everyone was great fun for us! Had a picnic dinner with delicious food bought at the Milan train station some beer and wine... sleep, and you wake up in Paris!)

ira Jan 19th, 2008 11:20 AM

Hi L,

>s it silly to do a fly to Venice spend 4 days then go to Paris for 5 days and fly home? <

Of course not.

I suggest taking www.myair.com from VCE to ORY rather than Ryanair Trviso to Beauvais.

((I))

sheri_lp Jan 19th, 2008 06:13 PM

It's your party! Definitely see both, you'll feel like a real world-traveler as you jetset from one fabulous city to the other!

knickerbocker Jan 19th, 2008 07:05 PM

Sounds lovely, leanneb. I'll definitely second ira's point about myair. Mrs. Knickerbocker and I did Paris(Orly)-Venice(Marco Polo) last June and that's definitely the most economical, convenient way to get betwixt the two cities. Their english site is here:

http://tinyurl.com/3coa6h

Having a quick look at the site, it seems like their departures are either 09:40 or 8-ish in the evening depending on the day.

Hope you enjoy your trip and as MECindylou said, you WILL be back. :D

cathies Jan 20th, 2008 12:29 AM

Can someone please tell me what an open jaw ticket is? I don't think we have them in Australia, they must be an American thing.

ORDgirl Jan 20th, 2008 12:52 AM

Reply to cathies defining open jaw ticket.

An open jaw is a type of roundtrip (return) ticket where you fly to one destination and return from another. Instead of paying for 2 one way tickets, you qualify for a discount roundtrip fare. Example: NYC to London and return from Rome. Draw the lines and it looks like the side view of an "open jaw" ;-0. I do know that to qualify the two destinations have to be in the same geographical area--in this case, Europe.I don't see why they wouldn't sell them in Australia, unless RTW (round the world) tickets are more in line with Aussie itineraries. That, and you guys are better at keeping you mouths shut. ;)