Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Silly question about rain boots in Venice

Jan 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Just curious. Anyone had to buy those rubber waders/ rain boots in Venice? How much do they cost? Where do you buy them? Do they go over your shoes?

Thank you
Jan 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM

The ones I've seen are juts regular rain boots/wellies (in all kinds of colors) - they just go on like boots...don't know if they see the over-the-shoe-type. I can't remember the cost...certainly more than in the US because of the Euro...but not expensive enough for me to consider packing my own...if that makes sense! Honestly? I've been many times during high water and I've never needed rain boots - they set up wooden walkways with planks for you to walk on (although they would have come in handy I guess and I'd have worn them if I had some.)
Jan 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM

This is funny. My very first question of Fodors was about tides in Venice. And this was a very useful answer that I received about 18 months ago.

“Try this website”. http://www.oconnells.com.au/

El cheapo over boots can be bought – I think they cost about 15 Euro – made of plastic. They go over your shoes, and look pretty horrible. We never tried them.

Your hotel may have rubber boots that you can borrow, or otherwise boots cost about 30 Euro. Once there is a high tide forecast, then boots appear at lots of shops. They can be very stylish – think mauve boots with a stacked heel - or your garden varieties of “wellies”.

Acqua Alta is tidal, not “flooding”, and so goes to a 12 hour cycle. San Marco floods first, particularly the north side (the clock tower and Quadri side). The area around Rialto floods less, as it is higher – hence its name – Rio = land, alto = alta = higher. Dorsoduro also floods less. It’s quite fun, as a difference in elevation of only a few inches makes all the difference.

Boots are worth having, because there’s nothing worse than being confined to your hotel for a precious two or three hours while you wait for the tide to subside.

Flooding is not inevitable – it depends on tide levels, and weather conditions as well. Once a tide higher than say 90 cm is forecast, then you’ll need boots to get around.
Jan 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM

I took these pics on 1st of December 2005.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lta/?start=all

This is the worst acqua alta I have had but also fun and was a great photo chance to be honest. Sky was blue and Piazza San Marco underwater, that was surreal. About 60 cm deep (that was almost the hight of the elevated walkway)at the deepest part in on Piazza San Marco, that's about 120cm above sea level. On the photos you can see people wearing green wellies borrowed from the hotels or, those colorful over the shoes plastic soft boots that can be tied above knees. When a serious acqua alta occurs, shops on the street hangs them outside so you can see where to buy or there are men carrying those to sell on the streets. I bought a pair at a shop for about 12€ then. As it is a tidal thing, it started early morning and ended by noon, as often is the case.