Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Signs, Symbols,and Accents! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/signs-symbols-and-accents-655555/)

jody Oct 27th, 2006 03:43 PM

Signs, Symbols,and Accents!

I know I had this filed somewhere but I can't find it or figure out how to get or search it!

There are some keystrokes that will pull up a chart with codes to type symbols, accents, etc/ I.E...€= alt 0128, ç = t 135..

but what the hey is it!!

Robespierre Oct 27th, 2006 04:51 PM

Don't use the alt codes (or the Mac Option key shortcuts). They produce gobbledygook in some browsers. Instead, use the standard HTML &quot;escape&quot; characters that begin with an ampersand (<b>&amp;</b>) and end with a semicolon (<b>;</b>). These work across all platforms and browsers. Here's a page that explains the whole universe of Fodor's formats:

http://lkrakauer.home.comcast.net/tags.htm

Steve_James Oct 28th, 2006 01:23 AM

Hi Jody - Here's my list for accents (- with thanks to Carol :) )

1. Num Lock must be ON

2. Holding down ALT (- left of space bar),
- type 3/4 figure code (- using number pad on right)

3. Release Alt

e.g. For &agrave;

Press &amp; hold down Alt, type 133 (- then release Alt )

&agrave; = Alt + 133
&aacute; = Alt + 160

&egrave; = Alt + 138
&eacute; = Alt + 130

&igrave; = Alt + 141
&iacute; = Alt + 161

&ograve; = Alt + 149
&oacute; = Alt + 162

&ugrave; = Alt + 151
&uacute; = Alt + 163

&Agrave; = Alt + 0192

&Egrave; = Alt + 0200

&Igrave; = Alt + 0204

&Ograve; = Alt + 0210

&Ugrave; = Alt + 0217

Hope this helps ... and
'Have a nice day'

Steve

jody Oct 28th, 2006 04:43 AM

Thanks to both of you! This time I will put it safely away where I can find it!

Hi Steve, good to &quot;see&quot; you..we'll be in your neighborhood in March and you know that makes me happy!!

Robespierre Oct 28th, 2006 07:02 AM

<b><font color="fuchsia">YOU AREN'T LISTENING TO ME!</font></b>

When you embed Alt+ characters (or Option+U characters) in your HTML, they doesn't render correctly unless the viewer is using the same &quot;code page&quot; in his browser as the codes you used. This results in crap being inserted in your text, such as <b>Fodor&euro;@=s</b> instead of <b>Fodor's</b>. HTML escape codes always work correctly.

<font color="navy">DON'T USE THEM!!! PLEASE!!! USE THE ESCAPE CODES LIKE A GROWNUP!!!</font>

Mimar Oct 28th, 2006 07:21 AM

Under Windows you can cut and paste foreign characters that include accent marks.

Go Start -&gt; All Programs -&gt; Accessories -&gt; System Tools -&gt; Character Map

Hope that's clear.

Robespierre Oct 28th, 2006 07:41 AM

<b><font color="PURPLE">DON'T DO THAT, EITHER!!!</font></b>

Copying from <b>charmap</b> embeds the same codes as the Alt+ procedure, and <i>results in gobbledygook in many browsers!</i>

Don't do it. Please.

waring Oct 28th, 2006 10:34 AM

The other thing to do is to buy a French or whatever keyboard off the internet and install it correctly. Not expensive at all. A French keyboard works perfectly for English, while the reverse is not the case.

&ccedil; &eacute; &egrave; &acirc; &Ouml; &euro; You see.....It will also keep Robespierre happy

flsd Oct 28th, 2006 10:45 AM

Or - you can just type &quot;Euros&quot;.

Robespierre Oct 28th, 2006 01:25 PM

<b><font color="navy">NO, IT WON'T!</font></b>

The characters you typed only render properly if I have the correct code page loaded. This should not be my responsibility, but rather that of the HTML author (and that's what you are when you post to an online BBS).

The fact that it may look fine to you or me or most people is irrelevant.

smalti Oct 29th, 2006 08:46 AM

Robespierre--

I have a question for you (please be patient with me). I've used Alt+ codes before and have indeed gotten gibberish, but using the character map has worked, at least so far as I could see.

Do you say that a post that looks right to me can still be wrong on another person's screen?

Robespierre Oct 29th, 2006 10:23 AM

Exactly.

smalti Oct 29th, 2006 02:37 PM

Time to learn the escape codes, then.

Thanks!