Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Signing off with the title of your book is really annoying. Would you please stop?

Signing off with the title of your book is really annoying. Would you please stop?

Feb 8th, 2001, 06:14 AM
No Hawking Please

Now, in addition to the few people who sign off with their name and web site, we have someone actually signing off using their name, web site and the title of their book. David of TAKE YOUR KIDS TO LONDON OR WHATEVER THE HELL THE BOOK IS CALLED fame, will you please stop doing this? Thanks a bunch.

Feb 8th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Thanks

Thanks so much for saying this, I've been thinking the same thing everytime I saw a "take your kids to London" post by David. I suppose he figures he can get some free publicity here (and on the Frommer's board where he also posts) but I tend to find this a little annoying.

Feb 8th, 2001, 07:24 AM
frank

Best way to kill spam is to post against it.
Next time post a reply saying "I've read this book - it stinks, honest"
I guarantee it stops the spam.I've used it on a teccy board against product posters.

Feb 8th, 2001, 07:43 AM
great idea

great idea there, let's all say we've read his book and it is not the greatest or something like that (and even add that there are enough kids in London, why take more? I bet he stops posting with a little adverse publicity coming his way.

Feb 8th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Frances Mayes

Authorship of a book makes one unwelcome here?

Feb 8th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Judy

Frances??? Is that YOU? I hope you are for real,,,,for you are to me one of the best! If not, imposter or whatever, this could open the proverbial Pandora's Box.......Judy ;-)

Feb 8th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Doug

No, Francis. Authorship of a book does not make one unwelcome! I guess people are more upset with using this board for publicity. Even for your wonderful books! (if it's really you)

Feb 8th, 2001, 09:13 AM
OTOH

Frances, oooh Frances,
While I PERSONALLY enjoyed your books (though I think I could manage to be happy with tile butterflies in my house if the house were in Italy), I take it on good authority that the natives aren't all that tickled by the notoriety you have brought to their little corner of heaven.

Feb 8th, 2001, 10:24 AM
No Hawking

Normally, I would post and just slam the item being improperly marketed here, as Fred suggested. I'm giving Dave a break this time because I think he's new. Next time, I won't be very nice.

Francis, I haven't heard of you or your books, which makes me think that you haven't been promoting them here.

Good day.

Feb 8th, 2001, 11:27 AM
john updike

Mind if I weigh in with a comment or two?

Feb 8th, 2001, 11:46 AM
XXX

Maybe this Dave person just didn't know. It doesn't appear to be critically important to read the "rules" before posting so maybe he didn't. and maybe he's jsut excited that he got a book published and would like everyone to know, because what's the point of publishing a book if people don't READ it. How about having just one single polite person e-mail his a short 4-sentence note explaining the no-no. Just one person. Decide among yourselves. How many words do you want to waste ranting about this when the alleged offender probably doesn't even read your postings. I never noticed his ads, by the way.

Feb 8th, 2001, 11:56 AM
xxx

The reason I wouldn't just send the person an e-mail to knock it off is that my e-mail address might get put into his data base, and then i'd get spammed. No, the best way to tell someone to stop the commercial promotion on the board is to post something on the board.

Feb 8th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Patrick

I figure if someone has written a published book, it's really great, and the information would apply to those who use this forum, then certainly one or more readers will post and recommend it. If only the author does it, it probably means than there weren't any readers who thought it was worthwhile. Am I just being naive? In any case, I don't regard it as advertising if a reader mentions a book, but I do regard it as advertising if the author does. And last I knew there was to be advertising on this forum.

Feb 9th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Ernest Hemingway

I've written several good books with European themes, all available at Amazon.com