Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sightseeing London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sightseeing-london-92602/)

Meg Nov 3rd, 2000 05:46 PM

Sightseeing London

I'm taking my 25 year-old Canadian granddaughter to London in May 2001 as a gift for her graduation. I know what I like about London, but I'd like opinions from readers this age group as to the kind of things they enjoyed most when visiting London <BR>All suggestions, including places to eat, will be most gratefully received.

Rose Nov 3rd, 2000 06:24 PM

Hi Meg, be sure to check out Soho. There was a thread here earlier on London Shopping - asking about moderate places to shop, try a search on 'London Shopping' to locate the exact thread. <BR>I'm sure you'll get lots more replies, unfortunately I've been only once, so can only reply with what I know for sure she'll enjoy! Have a great trip!

Miane Nov 3rd, 2000 06:33 PM

Shopping, clubs, cool bars and restaurants. I hate to say this, but www.frommers.com has a good, succinct description of London's various neighborhoods. The trendy ones with things to do would be Soho/Covent Garden (bars/clubs), Notting Hill (markets) and South Ken/Chelsea (bohemian chic)---If she's into arts, there are plenty of museums, from the established British to the new Tate Modern. Plenty of avant-guarde art, too, with nice galleries in Chelsea and Mayfair --- Camden market is also interesting: very British trash but the most amazing looks and fashion --- For the fun and English experience, you may want to treat her to high tea at the Browns Hotel (off Piccadilly): quintessensially British! Visit also the crazy Sir John Soane's museum (in Holborn) -- There are some good trendy London guides such as the Avant-Guides but you may also want to start keeping track of what's going on in London by logging on www.thisislondon.com amd www.timeout.com.

Jeff Nov 3rd, 2000 06:36 PM

Hi Meg, <BR> Here are some of my favorite things to do in London. I think you'd both enjoy a West End show. I saw Cate Blanchett in Plenty last time I was there. One of my favorite places for lunch is the Cafe in the Crypt under St. Martins in the Fields Church. I also think you'd enjoy tea at the Orangery at Kensington Palace. If you're interested in a fun day trip I highly recommend Bath or Windsor Castle. London is my favorite European city because there's so much to do. Have a great trip!

lisa Nov 6th, 2000 08:58 AM

i'm a little older.. but still very much young at heart!! these are the things i enjoy about london. <BR>loud pubs at night and the clubs that follow after they close!! <BR>perfume that you cant get in the states.. Jo Molone, Floris. <BR>walking on all the incredibly crowded streets. <BR>the street performers in covent garden. <BR>theatre. <BR>and the amazing amounts of friendly men!! <BR>should keep her entertained. <BR>

Patrick Nov 6th, 2000 12:24 PM

First let me say that this very lucky girl has a wonderful grandmother! I suggest that for a little Christmas gift you give her a couple of London guide books and give her a deadline--say Easter to let you know some of the things that really sound exciting to her. I truly believe that half the fun of traveling (well, maybe not quite half) is in the planning. Having her help with the planning should heighten the experience for her. And don't rely on what any of us think your particular 25 year old will be interested in.

wendy Nov 6th, 2000 05:36 PM

I was in London last year (I'm 28) and I think your granddaughter would probably like Camden Town on a Sunday morning for some really cool clothing and kitsch stalls. There are some interesting antique stalls there too. <BR>I have to say that the thing I miss most about Britain (I was there for 7 weeks) was Boots the Chemist. I spent enough there on hair and skin care products to finance another trip. <BR> <BR>Also, check out http://london.walks.com/ <BR>for some other sight-seeing ideas.