Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sightseeing in Moscow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sightseeing-in-moscow-983606/)

wannahavefun5 Jul 1st, 2013 10:09 AM

Sightseeing in Moscow

I'll be in Moscow for 3 days in October. I'm intrested in visiting museums and I want to have a sightseeing tour. Where can I buy tickets? How much do they cost?
Also, my friend told me about a special card by using which I can visit museums for free and have some sightseeing tours. Does anybody heard about this card?

boredtraveller7 Jul 1st, 2013 10:22 AM

This card is called Moscow pass. For more information moscowpass.com

wannahavefun5 Jul 8th, 2013 03:53 AM

Thanks
Is this the only option? Are there any alternatives?

boredtraveller7 Jul 9th, 2013 01:17 AM

Never heard of any alternatives

aussiedreamer Jul 16th, 2013 10:33 PM

We had a private guide in Moscow & St Petersburg, best thing we did. We had the guides for 3 days, it ended up being two big mornings and a full day. She had all our entry tickets etc and it included a car and driver. Happy to pass her info on if you'd like, she was just lovely. I have her email & phone number. (it was arranged by our travel agent but she gave us her details when we parted.)

re Jul 19th, 2013 07:57 PM

aussiedreamer, We are going to Moscow in September and I would like to have the email and phone number of the guide you used there. Did you go to the Golden Ring area - on a tour or independently? Thanks

aussiedreamer Jul 19th, 2013 08:07 PM

We really only did Moscow & St Petersburg, with an excursion about an hour out of St Petersburg. We travelled independently but had organised the tour guides before leaving home through our travel agent.

This included transfers from train stations and to airports, and 3 days with a guide who met us each morning at our hotel & all entry fees to museums etc & one lunch. Two days we were finished early afternoon, so had plenty of free time and one was a pretty full day but still had late afternoon and evenings to ourselves.

If you want to give me your email address I'll be happy to pass on her details.

re Jul 20th, 2013 06:45 AM

aussiedreamer I am working on an independent visit to Kizhi Island, St Petersberg and Moscow. Hotels or any other tips would be most appreciated. [email protected]

colonna Jul 20th, 2013 08:27 AM

Aussiedreamer, If you wouldn't mind, I'd also be grateful for details about your guide/s in Moscow and St Petersburg. We are going in late October. [email protected]

jtgarland Jul 22nd, 2013 04:14 AM

Aussiedreanmer: I too would like the the name of your guide in Moscow. We used a guide in St Petersburg, but she was very expensive, and an old-style Intourist Coummunist that had not been able to adpat to new ways. How many days shoud we plan to be in Moscos and tour? My email is [email protected].

Thanks very much, John

Alexey_Davydov Aug 21st, 2013 02:51 AM

this card you talking about is Moscow Pass, it gives discounts in some restaurants and free-visiting museums and also there are some sightseeing tours like bus tour and walking tour, i've been using it when I was in Moscow and visited Moscow very economically, cause with this card you don't need to pay in museums, and info about restaurants you can find on their website moscowpass.com

aussiedreamer Aug 21st, 2013 10:55 PM

Sorry for the delay in response: all our entries, transport etc. was pre arranged before we left Australia with our travel agent, mostly so it was easier to complete our visa applications.
We really splurged in Moscow and stayed at the Ritz Carlton, just beautiful and a few days of luxury were much appreciated and the location is terrific.
In St Petersburg we stayed at the W Hotel, just great although no wifi in room but in public areas, again fantastic location. Hope it helps.