Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   sightseeing (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sightseeing-352639/)

JBTravel Aug 28th, 2003 06:07 AM

sightseeing

Can you please suggest a good one day sight seeing trip from laussane (in september). I will be in laussane for the 1st day and for the 2nd day I'm looking for places. And that night I need to reach Basel. I prefer relaxing in mountain and lake side regions. I'm also interested in taking a cable car to one of the mountain top restaurants - any suggestions for that too?
And the 3rd day I'm planning to be in lucerne.
Your ideas are greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

swandav2000 Aug 28th, 2003 07:55 AM

Hello again JBTravel,

Here's my suggestion for your day #2 in Lausanne:

Take the regional train (like the REG 3218) from Lausanne to Veytaux-Chillon just south and east of Montreux; the train trip will take 33 minutes. Get off at Veytaux and stroll over to the Chateau de Chillon, explore and enjoy the scenery. Walk back along the lakeside promenade toward Montreux and enjoy the lake views and cafes along the way. The walk will take about 45 minutes, of course depending on your pace (and number of stops!!). Back in Montreux, take the ferry to Vevey (you can take the ferry from several places along the lakeside promenade if you wish). The ferry ride will be about 20 minutes long from Montreux?s main dock. If you want to take the time, explore Vevey's old town and its waterfront. Then take the train funicular to Mt Pelerin and take the elevator (the Plein Ciel) up to the top. Info at http://www.mob.ch/GPS/produits/pelerin1.htm

Alternately, from Vevey you can take the "Star Train" up to Les Pleiades, info at:
http://www.astropleiades.ch/AST/accueil.htm

Both of those places offer plenty of restaurants at the peaks.

The train from Vevey to Basel will take about 2.42 hours (change in Morges) or 2.28 hours (change in Lausanne and Biel).

It's a shame you won't have longer to explore the vineyards of the Lavaux between Lausanne & Montreux, but maybe you'll be able to do that on another trip.

You can get train schedules & ferry schedules at www.rail.ch

In Luzern, I think you should take a long ferry ride to one of the distant villages (Flueelen) and then take all day on the return trip, stopping in the villages of Vitznau and Weggis to eat, shop, and stroll. Info at www.lakeluzern.ch and www.lakelucerne.ch (actually different websites!).

Hope this helps --

s

JBTravel Aug 28th, 2003 10:43 AM

thanks swandav2000.
let me check the info. I know it's a very short trip. But can't help it.
Another problem in walking around is we will be having one bag each with us. Because we will be checking out of our laussane hotel in the morning!

swandav2000 Aug 28th, 2003 12:38 PM

Hi JB,

The luggage should be no trouble. Just buy the train ticket Vevey-Basel (or wherever you'll be departing from) and check your luggage through to Basel for about 10 chf each. Then, after enjoying yourself traipsing around all day, just pick it up in Basel from the luggage service desk at the train station. It'll be there waiting for you.

Have a good time!

s

JBTravel Aug 28th, 2003 01:10 PM

oh! that's news...thanks a lot!
it will be secure, right? how risky it is?
(sorry, if this is a silly Qn:))

swandav2000 Aug 28th, 2003 01:35 PM

Hey JB,

I've done this four times that I can remember: twice from my US airport to Grindelwald, once from Luzern to Montreux (while I spent the day in Bern) and once from Zuoz to Zurich airport (while I spent two days in a Zurich suburb). Had no problems at all! I highly recommend it!

s

JBTravel Aug 29th, 2003 04:43 AM

Hi swandav2000,
I'm thinking of the 3 day swiss pass. I have a Qn. Can I go to the station and just check in the luggage or do we need to board the train and get down some place in between?

swandav2000 Aug 29th, 2003 06:24 AM

Hi JBTravel,

I'm not sure I understand your question. You check the bag(s) at your departure station then get on the train. You'll probably have to show your pass when you check the bag(s). You only "get down" from the train if you have a change.

Let me know if I've read your question right --

s

JBTravel Aug 29th, 2003 09:14 AM

Hi swandav2000,
sorry if i confused you. I have to check out the hotel by 12 p.m ....I'm thinking of hanging around montreaux region and go to basel in the night. So I was thinking go to the station check in the luggage and take the train only in the evening.

swandav2000 Aug 29th, 2003 11:41 AM

JBT,

Yes, of course. You can check your bags through and then board the train many hours later. I've done this too.

s

JBTravel Aug 29th, 2003 12:14 PM

thanks a lot swandav2000!

Stefan_Swiss Aug 30th, 2003 02:32 AM

Checking your bags is generally highly recommendable, safe and at CHF 10/piece (max. 3 per person) quite cheap. You will need a ticket valid from the check-in station to the destination (or some rail pass). Which route you take yourself and when is completely irrelevant. (Checking your bags is even possible without ticket at all, but at the fourfold fee.)

However, there is one point to be mentioned: do keep in mind that picking up bags is not possible 24 hrs. As for Basel, 09.40 pm seems to be the latest at the moment. Ask at the station.