Sights to see in or near Reading, England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Reading for 5 days before spending 5 days in London. I will only have a few hrs each day to sightsee so I'm trying to plan and use my time wisely. I haven't been able to find out much information in the tourist books about Reading and surrounding area. I know I could take the train into London each day to visit, but I'm wondering if there are wonderful treasures I should explore in or near Reading and save the London sightseeing for when I am staying there. I would greatly appreciate some advice.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:59 PM

If you will have a car for the 5 days you can see a LOT of places. Some, like Oxford, Windsor or Bath, are easily visited by train. But many like Avebury, Highclere Castle, the southern Cotswolds, Henley-on-Thames and the other thames-side towns, would be easier by car
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Janis has given you great advice. Found this website for you with lots of info on Reading & surroundings. There's also a map there of the area.

http://www.chem.rdg.ac.uk/town/town.html

Linked from the same site above, here's a list of stately homes in the area (something that would interest me)

http://www.readingtourism.org.uk/att...s/heritage.htm

Have fun.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM

If you were a fan of the British TV series 'Inspector Morse' on PBS then go to 'The Trout'. That was his local and the food and setting are brilliant as they are want to say!
I've been there myself and will be going back in April.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Where is the Trout exactly? I assume Oxford?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM

The Trout is just outside Oxford at 195 Godstow Road,Wolvercote (north Oxford). You can take a bus from Oxford, just ask at the tourist centre at Gloucester Green (coach station).
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Janis-I will not have a car, and I only have a few hrs free each day. I would LOVE to venture further from Reading, but Oxford, Windsor-a definite, and Bath-have to look on a map to see how far, are all great ideas. Mclaurie-Thanks for the websites; I've been exploring those, and the historical homes, museums, and maps are helping me to get a feel for the area and plan-which is what I want to do. NotatHome-I'm not familiar w/ The Trout, but if I make it to Oxford, I will ck it out. Anyone else w/ suggestions on sightseeing in and around Reading in April?
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM

While Reading doesn't have much to offer in the way of tourist attractions, it is a major rail hub. I think you will find it very easy to catch a train to a number of locations.