Notices

Sight Seeing in London

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sight Seeing in London

Has it been anyone’s experience while in London on a Sunday, that some or any of the popular sights are closed? (e.g., Tower of London, Big Ben, Westminster Abby, Buckingham Palace, museums, etc.?)
Thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Westminster Abbey is closed to tourists on Sunday.
Jim
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Westminster Abbey is a church and so will certainly not be closed on Sundays--but some areas of the church might be.

You can normally see only the outside of Buckingham Palace except for special times of the year when limited tours are available.

Many museums are open on Sundays; see their web sites for details. Ditto for the Tower; Big Ben is on the outside of the tower at the Houses of Parliament and can be seen at any time.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM

We were just there this past Sunday. B Palace was open for regular hours. Cannot speak about the others since the Palace was the only place we went on Sunday.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I repeat...Westminster Abbey is closed to TOURISTS on Sunday.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM
yk

Why not just go check the website of each place you are interested in going? With google, you can pretty much find websites of all these places with the stroke of a key. I'm sorry, but kathy, I think you're just lazy.

And for the record, Westminster Abbey is not open for visitors on Sundays. It is open for worshippers.
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/visitor/
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Buck House: In 2007, Buckingham Palace is open from 28 July to 25 September, from 09.45 to 18.00 daily, with the last admission at 15.45hrs.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM

The only sights that will be closed to tourists on a Sunday are churches.

See individual websites for details of opening times

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
virtually nothing is closed on Sundays. I mean tourist attractions, lots of shops/stores are closed. Also most theatres are dark on Sunday. And as the others say - there is no touring allowed in St Pauls, Westminster Abbey and other churches since there are services all day.

Most of the year there is no entry to Buckingham Palace so that is not an issue. (unless you are going in the next 10 days)

And not quite sure what you mean by Big Ben - If you just mean looking at it from the outside it is there 24/7. Non-UK visitors are not allowed inside the clock tower.

But the VAST majority of touist attractions are open. For most of them, it is their busiest day of the week.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I want to see Windsor Palace this November.

Does anyone know how long the tour is?

About how far is it from Buckingham Palace?

Any comments good or bad about the tour?

I have looked on the web and can't get much info on the tour.
Thaks!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:31 AM

Windsor Castle is in Windsor, about 30 minutes away from London by train.

As I read the webpage, both a guided tour and a self-guided audio tour are included in the admission price.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/de...=article&ID=34
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:31 AM

want to see Windsor Palace this November.>>>>

I'm assuming that you mean Windsor Castle?

Does anyone know how long the tour is?>>>

Do you mean the tour around the catle (in which case - God knows,) or the day trips which are run from London - in which case - all day.

About how far is it from Buckingham Palace?>>>>>

About 40 miles. You can get a train from Paddington or Waterloo.

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

Kathy, I would encourage you to take the train and make a day trip of it. We did this recently and spent about 4 hours on the castle complex alone. The audio guide is very nice. After seeing the State Rooms, St. George Chapel and the castle grounds are very worthwhile. Then, a real bonus. Staying in Windsor and walking along the river after the bus tours and most day-trippers had all gone was wonderful. The train runs back to London frequently, so you can spend a full wonderful day.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM

This discussion has made me curious as to what is the difference between a castle and a palace. One is the residence of a reigning monarch????
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Castles have a miltary purpose. Palaces are just big houses.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM

A castle is a FORTIFIED house, designed to be resistant to attack from men with bows, arrows and cannon balls.

A palace is usually, but not always, "a" residence of royalty. Foir instance, Blenheim Palace is the residence of the Duke of Marlborogh, who is NOT a royal Duke.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

Castles are large old (almost always older than palaces) buildings that were essentially military fortifications. They generally have large outer walls, numerous buildings (almost a small village) inside and a central tower (or keep) lived in by the owner, family and often housing numerous knights, as well as stores of food and arms. If the attacking enemy somehow broke through the outer defenses, every one would retreat and defned the keep (sometimes for months if it had a well inside for water).

The building of Windsor Castle (and the Tower of London, really another Castle) was started by William the Conquorer, after he sized control of England in 1066.

Palaces are very much newer buildings with no military purpose - generally just pleasure (hunting lodges or country retreats for favored mistresses, etc). Just enormous residenses for kings, princes, dukes, etc generally built since 1650 or so (when warfare started to become more mechanized and the role of castles/fortresses started to change).
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM

There's no satisfactory definition in British of "palace". The Palace of Westminster is no-one's residence, though it contains a few flats.

The term is used in British to describe the formal residence of an Anglican bishop, three (I think) current royal residences (Buckingham and St James' Palaces, and the Palace of Holyroodhouse), two grand buildings which were once royal residences but aren't any more (Hampton Court and the Palace of Westminster) and the hideous pile that John Churchill got the State to ruin the Glyme Valley with in return for winning a battle no-one's ever heard of.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM

Back to the sundays issue, as others pointed out, major attractions are open. The only thing to bear in mind is shorter shopping hours (usually noon-6, with preliminary "browsing-only" period because of Sunday trading restriction). Having said that, you can buy alcoholic beverages on sundays (unlike some states/cities in N.America) and restaurants are open. Tubes start running around 07:30am, later than on weekdays.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the castle/palace information!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO