Siena in Tuscany = ?? in Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are well heeled in Tuscany and Provence, which town in Provence would be closest to Siena in Tuscany? We love Siena for its beauty and medieval charm. We home based in Florence and day triped to Siena and wished we'd done the opposite. Florence is a great city, especially for art but it lacks the tranquillity of Siena.

I'm looking for a convenient base for Western Provence in Aug (hot and crowded). We've already been to Cote d'Azur so will skip that except to fly out of Nice. An ideal day would be climbing some Roman ruins or exploring a hill town (similar to St. Paul or Eze), ending with a yummy French dinner and a glass of wine.

Do I need a car for this or will train/bus be OK? We didn't have a car in Nice, just used train/bus. I've read some post already about St. Remy may be difficult w/o car. Will parking be a problem?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM

ttt
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 03:53 AM

St Rémy has the Roman ruins (Glanum) as well as the views painted by Van Gogh.
Les Baux - just over the Alpilles, is definitely a hill top village. And you can descend from there into the "Val d'Enfer" at the foot of Les Baux for dinner at either le Cabro d'Or or La Riboto de Taven.

Within short distances you can also view the Pont du Gard and visit Uzès, see more Roman ruins in Arles or visit another charming hilltop village - Eygalières.
There are also vineyards and olive oil mills if you're in the mood for tasting...

You would need a car - although there are some buses, that method takes a lot of time. And driving here is quite easy. There are parking lots, although they will be busy during the months of July and August - so far it's pretty quiet around here considering it's usually already fairly busy.

Patricia
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:56 PM

There's no real parallel to Siena, but within the parameters of your intended trip, I'd have to second St. Remy. It has a medieval/19th century core, very atmospheric, and some very good restaurants - also a weekly market that's worth the experience. Look into staying at Le Mas des Carassins just on the outskirts of town (easy walk to center) - a 3-star converted farmhouse with pool and beautiful gardens, very friendly staff and gourmet evening meals (optional). We stayed there last September and would go back in a minute. Remember that the hill towns of the Luberon are to the east of St. Remy, an hour's dirve or so, so you will need a car. But from our base in St. Remy we were able to see Gordes, Rousillon, Ansouis and others with no problem and actually enjoyed the drive back and forth.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

PBProvence, I'm still trying to decide my base town. Here are my factors:
- family of 4 (2 kids, 10 & 12)
- arriving mid-Aug
- TVG from Pairs, fly out of Nice, 7 nights
- want to see Avignon, Arles, Nimes, Orange, Pont du Gard (yes, we love Roman Ruins), Les Baux or Gordes (hill top towns).

If using bus/train, is Avignon best base town?
If renting car, will Aug be impossible to find parking at sites and congestion on roads? Will I get hotel parking?

We enjoy walking around town after dinner. In Nice, we stayed in the center and one of our fond memory is leaving our hotel at 10pm for crepe suzette!
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Carcassone:
Avignon is a good base if using the train, but it will be really hot in the city in August, so A/C would be a must.

You can take the train to Nimes, and there are bus tours to places like the Pont du Gard and Les Baux (through the tourist office and Lieutaud bus company -http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cars.lieutaud/ )

Frankly, unless you're fascinated with the Roman theatre aspect, I would skip a trip to Orange. Gordes is worth a drive by to take a picture - the village itself is tiny and hasn't much to see. Roussillon, however, is worth the trip.

Some hotels do offer parking, and there is usually always some place to park near sites (the Pont du Gard has built a huge parking lot, and there is also one just outside Glanum). There is a charge for most "site" parking - the local mayors all suddenly saw a chance to make some more money and they've all taken full advantage of it. Eg. Glanum, Pont du Gard and Gordes.

If you would like some recommendations for restaurants, or whatever, feel free to send me an email. (PBProvence @aol.com)

Patricia
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 09:03 AM
DAX

If you have a car, I'd like to recommend climbing the ancient town of Peillon since you're going to end your trip in Nice. It's a bit like St. Paul/Eze without the shops but with a much more dramatic setting. You'll be awed when you approach the town. It's an authentic hilltop village with arching bridges & undulating narrow walkways inside. It's less than half an hour drive northeast from Nice.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:33 AM

Carcassone:
My family has stayed twice in St. Remy and Les Baux over the past six years and quite recently visited Siena. We have two boys who are now teens, but were as young as 7 when we first travelled to Provence. And we have visited all the places in Provence that you mention above.
We also have taken the TGV to Avignon, and flown back to Paris either via Nice or Nimes.
I truly believe a car is essential to see the towns and sites that you are interested in. We never had a real problem parking (nothing compared to either Siena or Florence!). Part of the fun of Provence is the wandering a that a car allows.
We found that our best approach to touring was to leave early in the morning and do our sightseeing, have a late lunch al fresco and then return to the soothing cool waters of the hotel/villa pool. It is very hot in August and frankly, my sons really needed the physical release of thrashing around a pool to balance out all the sightseeing.
Needless to say, air-conditioned rooms are also very important unless you are used to temps. in the 90's albeit with low humidity.
And don't overlook a daytrip to the coast. St. Tropez or Cassis are only 2 hours away via the autoroute. Spending the day on the beach with perhaps a boat ride to view the calanques at Cassis is a great time for you and your children.
I hope all of this rambling is helpful to you. I think you will enjoy your visit to Provence...lavender, sunflowers, rose wine, dining al fresco.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:06 AM

If a charming small town would appeal to you, have a look at Fontvielle--it's on the way to Arles and the Camargue and is within easy reach of the Pont du Gard, Uzès (a medieval town that might do very nicely as a base), St-Rémy, the twin towns of Tarascon and Beaucaire, Les Baux...it's all in the vicinity.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM

Gee Underhill... I'd pick the village I live in (Maussane-les-Alpilles) any day over Fontvieille. More good restaurants, charming town square, which Fontvieille doesn't really have,
cafes....

Patricia
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi padbrasher, you're not rambling at all. If you don't mind, please e-mail me at [email protected] as I have a couple questions regarding family touring in this area.

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM

Interesting question (since I love Siena) and interesting comparison, St Rémy as the (western) Provencal Siena. I've been to many places nearby, including Arles and Les Baux, but have yet to visit it.

If you have time, I highly second DAX's recommendation of Peillon, a spectacular hilltown near Nice.