Siena Honeymoon Hotel

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena Honeymoon Hotel

My future husband and I will be spending part of our honeymoon in Siena. I have looked into hotels and have two in mind. Hotel Santa Caterina looks wonderful and is in our price range, and has parking,which will be convenient because we will have a car, however I am a little concerned about its proximity to the city center, restaurants, shopping, etc. We will only be in Siena one day, as we will be spending most of our time in the countryside, so we were really hoping to be able to spend time in the city center. For anyone that has stayed here, is the walk to and from the hotel safe late at night? We are young, so do not mind the walk but also do not want to be too far away from the livelyness of the city.

Although it is not as charming as Santa Caterina, I am also looking at the Cannon d'Oro due to its price (around 120e) and great location.

I would love any recommendations regarding either one of these hotels, or any suggestions for hotels located within the city center that still have unique charm.

Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Would anyone be able to provide any insight on the walk from Santa Caterina to the city center? Is it an easy walk and safe at night? I have heard some say it takes 10 minutes, others 30. If it is closer to 30 we would want to stay in the city center. Any info appreicated! Thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Post a link for the hotel.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM

AAbroad, I am sorry I can't really be of much help but would suggest you email the hotel and ask them this question, if no one else responds. I have heard good things about the Santa Caterina.

We enjoyed our stay at the Palazzo Ravizza several years ago if that hotel is also under consideration. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and I hope you enjoy Siena!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Yes, the walk is not bad--about :12 with a slight incline. We liked the hotel. Be sure to request parking as there are limited spots and you must ask.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your response! Palazzo Ravizza looks beautiful, we actually looked into staying there but unfortunatly it was just slightly above our budget.

Below is the link to the hotel. When I emailed the hotel, they said it was about a 15 minute walk to the main square, but my concern would be if we have a late dinner, is it safe walk back to the hotel around midnight.

http://www.hscsiena.it/homeingle.htm

I would definitely be open to suggestions for hotels within the city walls that had that same charm at that same price point, around 100-120e. We are also looking at Cannon d'Oro due to its price and location.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

bob, that is great news! did you feel the walk back would be safe late at night to the hotel? thank you so much for your input!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM

I loved Santa Caterina. The walk was not a problem for us at all and we found it completely safe. While the hotel was lovely and the staff wonderful, my favorite memory is breakfast in their garden overlooking the beautiful Tuscan countryside. Also, be sure to have a meal at Fori Porto, just a couple hundred yards down the road. The staff can make a reservation for you. It was one of (actually three of now) my favorite meals in Italy.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Yes--it is a wide street thru the University area---dark but a major street.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It appears 15 minutes would be good estimate. I didn't find meals in Siena to be as late as other parts of Italy. What time of year is your trip?

I don't think Cannon D'Oro has views. Some hotels in the center do and others don't. I stayed cheap in the center (not honeymoon appropriate) and had a balcony with views of the countryside and Duomo. Cannon D'Oro seems to have only street views.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Our honeymoon is in early September. I am excited to hear Santa Caterina is within walking distance to the city center and safe to walk at nght, we would love to stay downtown, but the prices for the places with the same amount of charm are out of our price range so it sounds like Santa Caterina will be perfect! Thank you everyone for your help and Grasshopper thank you for the restaurant recommendation as well!