Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Siena Dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/siena-dining-461924/)

loc Jul 23rd, 2004 09:00 AM

Siena Dining

Does anyone have a favorite romantic, moderately priced restaurant favorite in Siena or near the city?

BelTib Jul 23rd, 2004 10:26 AM

Most foodies that visit Siena eat at Osteria le Logge, just off Il Campo. Can't promise that is in your price range, or romantic enough, but can promise that the food is great. Reservations are a must.

They also own Liberamente Osteria, which is really a wine bar serving a lighter menu. It's location right on the Campo, is great for people watching and soaking in the atmosphere of Siena. Loved Siena...loved the Gianni's 97 Brunello.

bettyo70 Jul 23rd, 2004 10:43 AM

Why yes, now that you ask...My Italian husband and I loved TRATTORIA PAPEI in Siena. It is a warm, homey place --no frills-- just hearty Tuscan home cooking. Be sure to sit in the older wood section, which has a better atmosphere than the more modern extension. Signor Papei is a real character. We ended up eating there every night we were in Siena! Buon appetito!

strass Jul 23rd, 2004 10:48 AM

I can't remember the name, but a few years ago I dined at one of the restaurants ringing the piazza, and the location can't be beat. Watching the sun set there is VERY romantic. Sadly, I was alone. :(

swalter518 Jul 23rd, 2004 11:11 AM

We ate at a great restaurant, IL Toro, with wonderful food. It's very small and we were the only tourists there. If you are at the "top" of Il Campo, facing the tower, it's on the first side street to the right (opposite side of the one with the pizza fast food restaurant) on the left hand side. I must admit that I committed larceny there as well. The napkins had a picture of the tower embroidered on them and one accidentally fell into my purse. We did leave a good tip to compensate for their loss...:)

canuckuphereathome Jul 23rd, 2004 11:14 AM

We had one of our most memorable Italian feasts at Cane e Gatto in Seina. It's a small (20-25 seats) family run restaurant. No view but the food-magnifico!

Gariem Jul 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

Would second Osteria le Logge. Celebrated my brother's 40th birthday there this past June 2. We were half an hour late and they held the reservation. I would ask for a table in the "library" (shelves full of interesting objects). We started with pasta, followed by salad, and an interesting ice-cream concoction they recommended rather than a brithday cake. Buon appetito!

jck4 Jul 23rd, 2004 01:51 PM

Cane e Gato was the very best meal of my entire life. we went there 2 nights in a row. Run by Paulo, adorable 60-70'sish gent who brings all the ladies who enter an orchid corsage. and it gets better from there. 4 hours (no kidding, no less) of Bliss. no menu, he just brings out whatever his wife feels like making that night. not even that expensive! You will not regret it!!!