Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Siena - Car Parking question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/siena-car-parking-question-173360/)

Jim Mar 17th, 2002 04:54 AM

Siena - Car Parking question

Staying 4 nights at the Alma Domus. Will have a car for 3 days, dropping it off at FCO for return. To be honest hadn't thought much about parking until I have read about limited parking in Siena. Thought I read somewhee that the Alma Domus had a car park available, but can't find it anywhere now. What about other parking? Close will help as we are leaving real early last day. Has anybody ever returned the car to the rental agency for the night? Pick up again the next day.

ttt Mar 17th, 2002 06:26 AM

to the top<BR>

dean Mar 17th, 2002 08:59 AM

Siena has a large number of pay parking lots near but not really close to the center. Luggage would be aproblem. Also you will face traffic getting to the lots. Good luck. I personally would not stay in Siena due to this issue.

Marilyn Mar 17th, 2002 09:22 AM

I think you'll enjoy Siena and the Alma Domus. We weren't driving and parking so that could be a problem as they are on an incline without adjacent parking that I remember. However, the Alma Domus is wonderful--very clean; very scenic and a buy. Marilyn

Sue Mar 17th, 2002 09:40 AM

I am sure the parking depends on when you are going to Siena. I was there last July around the 4th and was able to park in the stadium. I followed Rick Steves directions in his book to get to this parking lot. It is the closest to the city center and not difficult to drag a bag to your hotel. There was no traffic jam when we were there. There is a lot of other parking around the outside of the city center and although it is easier to walk to the center, it might be difficult with a lot of bags. Do not leave anything in the car. Some hotels have a service to help you with your bags, a cart or a hotel car. Use this and then walk. It is specatular and you will love being there.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 17th, 2002 10:55 AM

Jim, That is the reason I have often suggested staying just outside the walls at Santa Caterina or Piccolo Oliveta--both have parking and are :15 walk to the Campo.

x Mar 17th, 2002 11:47 AM

For what it's worth, we booked a hotel in town. As soon as we decided that we'd rent a car, we got a lot of advice to stay outside the walls, so we switched to Santa Caterina.<BR><BR>

ttt Mar 17th, 2002 02:29 PM

xxx Mar 17th, 2002 03:58 PM

Jim, unless you'll be there during one of the Palio weeks (ending July 2nd and August 16th), you shouldn't have any problems at all parking at the Stadium or the Fortezza Medicea lots, if you go about it before 10am or after 5pm. These parking lots are normally "critical" between 11am and 4pm. Once the day visitors start taking off, it should be pretty easy to find a spot (as a matter of fact, 2/3 of both lots should be empty at night). You should therefore plan your return from daytrips out from Siena, for after 5pm.