Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Siena and San Gimignano by train on the weekend

Sep 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Hello: We are planning to be in Florence in October. All of our days are already filled with events, but we are thinking of possibly taking day trips by train to Siena and/or San Gimignano. Our only problem is we only have Saturday and Sunday left. I am worried that perhaps Saturday would be a good day to stay in Florence (nightlife) but am not certain one way or the other. Really I am more worried that on Sunday, the sites in either Siena or San Gimignano may be closed. Any suggestions for good days to go, or if it is not good to go on a Sunday? Should we try to do both, and give up the extra day in Florence (we are there six days total). Also any ideas on things to do in either town and train travel advice are welcome. Thanks so much!
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Hi Suzanne,

The general wisdom here is that it's much easier to take the bus between Florence and Siena. The bus takes you right into town, the train would require a taxi up to town.

The train doesn't go to San Gimignano. You have to take the train to Poggibonsi, then bus.

For my taste, I would not try to do both in one day. I would also not want to spend 6 says in Florence, so I would vote for 2 day trips outside the city.

Others, who love Florence, will vote otherwise!

Buon viaggio!
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM

PS - the nice thing about day trips is you can just decide once you get there.
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok, great info. We will take two day trips. Can anyone tell me specific information on which bus to take, etc., and what is important to see in each town? Thanks so much.
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Suzanne,

There are many good guidebooks that will list and give summarized descriptions of sights. Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Green Guide, Eyewitness, you should have at least one of these to help plan your trip. They will also answer your questions on closing days and hours. However, it's Italy and something can always be closed unexpectedly!

If you do a search here for San Gimignano/bus, I'm sure one of the discussions with detailed public trans instructions will come up for you.

If it were me, I would probably rent a car for the day and drive so I could enjoy another small town on the way to SG and stop for photo ops!

Buon viaggio
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:32 AM

take a look at
http://europeforvisitors.com/italy/s...getting_to.htm
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
ira

Hi RN,

Buses to SG are at http://www.sangimignano.net/bus/

SITA bus schedules to Siena are at http://tinyurl.com/ybe6xk

To get to SG from S you have to go via Poggibonsi.

The major sights in Florence are open on Sunday, closed on Monday.

Sep 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to you all! I am decided, and now well-versed.
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Hey all: we went, and now we're back. LOVE Italy. Particularly loved Sienna. Wish we'd spent more time there!!!
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I am replying to this from an internet cafe in Siena, and not looking forward to having to leave for home tomorrow.

I went to San Gimignano on Sunday, and could almost have traversed the city by walking on tourists heads, such was the throng there (Yes I know I was adding to it.) SG is a lovely place, but I am not convinced it is that much better than more quiet places such as Volterra, Montalcino etc.