Reload this Page >

side trip from rome to pompei

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:56 AM
rolletta

I would like to find out if its possible to <BR>get a side trip from Rome to Pompei and return to Rome on the same day. I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:00 AM
grasshopper

Rolletta: <BR> <BR>Plan A - hook up with an expensive tour. <BR> <BR>Plan B - take the train from Rome to Naples (2 hours). From the Naples train station follow the signs to the Circumvesuvius and take that to Pompeii (about 1 hour, depending on the train you pick). Visit Pompeii (about 3+ hours, depending on how much you want to explore). Then reverse the process. Total time = 9 to 12 hours.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:08 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>in addition to the above, for very detailed information on taking the train from Rome to Pompeii, changing in Naples, etc, do a search here for <BR>"Pompeii" and you will find all the tips you need. Be patient with the search function, it's slow

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:45 PM
xxx

Try green line tours they pick you up at your hotel $ 70.00 per person full day lunch incld. gray line tours same tour $150.00 per person try www.romeguide.it theyb list all bus tours

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:50 AM
Steve James

Hello Rolletta, <BR> <BR>All the main tour operators, e.g Appian, Carrani, Vastours offer a Pompei day-trip, with details on their websites. <BR> <BR>But you can do it independantly by train or bus very easily and much more cheaply. <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:42 AM
Bob

Hi, Rolletta! <BR> <BR>My wife and I took the train from Termini Station in Rome to Naples & then another train to Pompeii in May. One day trip! It was great. <BR> <BR>You may want to consider the Eurostar from Rome to Naples and vice versa. It really can move! <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR> <BR>Bob <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:45 AM
snorkelman

thta would be a very long day. you may want to consider doing pompeii when you are based in naples rather than rome. when in pompeii - if you are in the summer, expect to be very hot. it really is just the ruins of a small town. you walk all around and you will be tired afterward and probably not want to take a long ride back to rome.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:52 PM
bill

Instead of going to Pompeii from Rome, why don't you go to Ostia. It is only 1/2 hour from Rome. It is like Pompeii, but on a smaller scale. This way you can do more things in rome with your limited time

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:54 PM
grasshopper

Oh Pshaw! Go to Pompeii. You can rest when you get home. But you don't want to get home and say "I wish I had....."