I will be traveling by myself for 3-4 nights in January, leaving and returning from Chamonix. I tend to like unique and intimate towns. I was considering Golfo Paradiso or Lake Como since they will be quiet in January (but maybe too quiet? I don't want to be the only guest).
I was hoping some veterans/locals could chime in and let me know great towns to visit. Switzerland is also an option, but as I will already be spending time in Chamonix I thought Italy might provide variety. Also, I am going to Annecy afterwards.
My main thoughts are: should I stick to the Alps in January since it will be grey/closed/cold elsewhere? Or is a jaunt to Northern Italy totally worth it? I am open to renting a car and driving around 4 hours each way. Small towns appeal but I understand a large town in low tourism season could be nice. I loved Rome, want to go somewhere new.
Thank you so much for any and all guidance! I have not been able to make much progress on internet searches alone to answer these questions...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL! AOL-password-reset-CONTACT-☎-1866-201-6261-AOL-Tec*h-24-7 vk
- 2 Wierd Europe map
- 3 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 4 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 5 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 8 Transportation in Brittany
- 9 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 10 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 11 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 12 Paris Apartment
- 13 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 14 Milan airport--which one
- 15 Which Area in London?
- 16 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 17 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 18 Visit to France
- 19 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 20 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 21 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 22 family trip to Germany and more
- 23 Trains - website?
- 24 Barcelona to Malaga
- 25 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help