Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Siclily - best beach resort near Palermo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all

I'm flying to Sicily after a (hectic) birthday weeked in Umbria and am really looking forward to a relaxing time. I fly into Palermo and don't really want a long trek. Can anyone recommend a nice beach resort within a reasonable distance from Palermo?
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Kate: Are you going to have a car in Sicily? If so, both Cefalu' and Scopello/Castelammare del Golfo are nice beach areas which are within reasonable drives of Palermo. You can also take the train from Palermo Centrale to Cefalu' (it's about 45 minutes.)
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I agree with rbrazill, Cefalu' has beautiful beach but it is 50 miles from Palermo. The most popular beach near Palermo is Mondello Lido, which is about 8 miles from Palermo, and which is connected to it by bus from the central station. Watch out though, in Summer it is always PACKED!
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Mondello is the closest resort area to Palermo where you'll find a beach, but mind you little tranquility. Città del Mare near Terrasini is also close to Palermo and the airport at Punta Raisi, but then again it is not a place for a person in a "vant to be alone" mood. As others have noted, Cefalù is a hike from Palermo and then again hardly a quiet little fishing villiage anymore. If you are really seeking pure r&r, then I recommend Scopello west of Palermo for its out of the way rustic beauty and peaceful ambience. If money is no object, the closest resort type of hotel within the reaches of Palermo itself is the Villa Igea situated directly at seaside with a wonderful pool, spectacular views of the bay and the Conca d'Oro, access to the sea but no beach per se. Then there is Porticello on the eastern rim of the bay of Palermo where the beach is really fine and the locals hospitable.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, you've all given me some very useful advice to get planning
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Has anyone ever taken the train from Cefalu to Palermo? Would you recommend taking the train or a car into Palermo?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM
cmt

Re train between Cefalù and Palermo, I replied here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34503509 (It's easy.)