Reload this Page >

Sicily, where to stay in the interior?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 09:37 PM
Johonna

We are going to Sicily for thee weeks next spring and I would really like to spend some of that in the interior around Enna. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding a good place to stay. Ideally, we would like to rent a room or stay in a B and B. I am not fond of large hotels. Agritourism is an option, but I would really like to expirience small town Sicily in the town. You know, morning cappucino at the local bar, having a passagiato in the evening... just sitting and soaking it in. If anyone has any reccomendations or contact info I would really appriciate it. Please email me privately if you would rather. Thanks everyone, in advance!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
gac

Enna, Ragusa, Piazza Armerina and Caltagirone immediately come to mind.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
more

any other suggestions?

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:21 PM
johonna

Yes, those are all great towns and I have been looking into them. What I was really hoping to find here is contact info for an acutal B&amp;B or person that rents room in any of those towns. There are two hotels in Enna (though one appears to be perpetually under construction), and they are both expensive (~$100/night). Piazza Armerina has a couple more (also expensive), but I cant find anyone who has acutally stayed there. Ragusa is a too far south (we are already staying for a few days in Syracuse), but Caltanissetta is a possiblilty. <BR><BR>Thanks --Johonna

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
gac

I doubt that Caltanissetta would be a good choice. I'd stick to Piazza Armerina or surroundings.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:04 AM
Maria

We stayed in Enna for a night at the Hotel Siciliano (sp?). I felt that it had more of a small boutique hotel feel than not. Enna is a great town to do the things you mentioned--cappucino in the morning and the passagiato in the evenings. And just as a note, we also visited a very small interior town where my grandparents were from and without being with a resident of the town, my husband and I looked and felt very odd walking around by ourselves. Everyone knew we were not locals and even though we tried to be friendly, we felt very uneasy, like we were intruders. We later learned from a Sicilian friend that this is normal in the very small towns in Sicily since they do not see tourists very often. So you might want to stick to the somewhat larger towns, like Enna. Also, there is an agritourism in Sciacca that gets mentioned here often. You might want to check them out.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:24 PM
A different Maria

Staying in an interior town in Sicily is quite a different experience than staying in a touristy area. It is an experience that should be experienced!<BR><BR>Be prepared for it to be a very quiet and relaxing experience. Yes, the people of the small town do stare at you. We go to my father's town every other year, and they are used to us - but they still stare everywhere we go - it's like we are celebrities!<BR><BR>There is a very small hotel in a town called Alia - the hotel is called Villa Daphna. The food is very good. It is extremely remote. There is a built in pool. All you see around you are mountains. In the main &quot;town&quot;, there isn't a whole lot to do than relax. You basically just walk around everynight down the main street. Then, you stop and have a gelato and some coffee, etc. Then you walk again and stop and talk. Everyone is very friendly. The town is about an 1 1/2 southwest of Palermo.<BR><BR>Anyone, have fun - whevever you end up!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:54 PM
tt

tt

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:51 AM
John

Johonna, first of all you'll love it. Siciliy has some of the nicest people in Europe. If you're there tfor three weeks, I'd try this: try the agritourism places, which are really wonderful. For the first they're great bases to start your journey. Then when you found a town or towns that you like, spend some mornings and afternoons there and ask around. You'll probably find someone willing to rent you out an apartment. Good luck!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Jack

My wife and I stayed at Gangivechio, a farm and restaurant out side of Gangi in the hills south of Cefalu. The food is fantastic, featured in 2 cookbooks. The countyside is breathtaking.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:00 AM
elizabeth

Another vote for Gangivecchio, although it's not right in a town - it's about 4 kilometres from the town of Gangi. <BR><BR>My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights in October at the end of a three week stay in Sicily. The interior is a very different experience from the coast - one I would highly recommend. <BR><BR>We paid about 116 Euros per night including breakfast and dinner - note the dinner is at the Agriturismo - if you want to eat at the main restaurant it's extra (however they'll deduct the agristurismo dinner meal portion from your hotel bill). I would recommend at least one meal at the main restaurant.<BR><BR>Here's the web site:<BR><BR>http://www.gangivecchio.it/eng/eng.htm