Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   sicily where to pick up car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-where-to-pick-up-car-695376/)

BonnieN Apr 9th, 2007 04:54 PM

sicily where to pick up car?

Hi,

We are flying into Catania and going immediately to Taormina. Should we have a driver pick us up and take us to our hotel, Villa Ducale, and pick up car when we leave town or pick it up at the airport?
Thanks,
Bonnie

TravMimi Apr 9th, 2007 05:15 PM

A driver cost 80 - 100E. There is also a direct bus (interbus) from the airport to Taormina. Takes about 90mins and costs about 5E per person. Personally, I would take the bus and get my car in Taormina.

BonnieN Apr 10th, 2007 05:14 AM

THanks for the tip. Do you know about how often the bus leaves on Saturday? Would it be difficult for us to get luggage with taxi to villa ducale once we arrive in Taormina?
Bonnie

Steve_James Apr 10th, 2007 05:31 AM

Hi Bonnie - What time do you arrive? You can find timetables between the Airport and Taormina on:

http://www.interbus.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve

TravMimi Apr 10th, 2007 05:36 AM

Bus website with timetable is www.interbus.it Click on the clock then dropdown box - Aeroporto Catania and Taormina, then click on (vai). There are 9 or 10 buses a day. About the taxi. There are plenty of taxis at the bus terminal in Taormina. Get a map to see if your hotel is close enough to walk. Also make sure you are staying in Taormina and not down in Giardini Naxos which some STILL call Taormina. The bus stops there before it climbs up to Taormina.

BonnieN Apr 10th, 2007 05:55 AM

thanks mimi and steve! we are up the hill at villa ducale. i found wheeling my luggage downhill in cinque terre as a challenge :)

For a night in the baroque towns, what do you think of sleeping at new adorable looking b&b casa talia in Modica and dinner at duomo in Ragusa (they will arrange driver for us (so not to get lost, etc)? Or should we just sleep in Ragusa?
Bonnie

TravMimi Apr 10th, 2007 06:04 AM

Well then if you are at Ducale then you certainly need a taxi. That's up Via Leonardo da Vinci past the Rocca. I'm sure you have seen the winding hill road. It's about 20 min walk to historic center. I love Modica and Ragusa. I'll look up Casa Talia.

fall06 Apr 10th, 2007 06:10 AM

I picked up my car at the Catania airport and the drive to Taormina is a cinch. Parking, however, is a big problem unless the Villa Ducale offers it. If you plan more than a few days in Taormina, you might want a car to take day trips, unless you plan to just veg and enjoy the view.

I would stay in Modica because the town is so charming and the food options are excellent. There are a couple of nice b&bs in the heart of town. I really enjoyed L'Orangerie, but you need to be able to climb about 30 steps to get to its front door.

TravMimi Apr 10th, 2007 06:16 AM

wow what a lovely place you found. Casa Talia looks perfect and so romantic. I would stay there. I would also stay in Ragusa, Note, Siracus and many, many places in that area. It's beautiful and so full of man made and natural wonders. You'll return as we all do. Enjoy your trip.

BonnieN Apr 10th, 2007 06:48 AM

You are all so AMAZING!! But then I think about my Foderite friends while I am travelling and what a difference they all made for our experience.

Ok, so we are going to stay in Casa Talia in Modica.
Should I take my husband to Duomo for dinner in Ragusa or is it overrated and maybe better to find a great local spot in Modica?

For Agrigento, could you help me decide between:
Madranova (east of town 30-45 min--looks nice but is it too much in the "wrong direction"), Fattoria Mose which looks very cute and Terrezze di Montelusa a newish b&b in Agrigento?

Thanks,
Bonnie

TravMimi Apr 10th, 2007 07:34 AM

Il Duomo is not overrated. Sicilians go to Ragusa just for dinner at Il Duomo. It is amazing. It is not "budget". The meal people go for is about 90E per person, but worth every penny. Go VERY hungry and plan to spend 2+ hours there. It is a true dining experience. The hours are odd so make sure you have reservations. You have obviously done your research very well.

BonnieN Apr 11th, 2007 10:11 AM

thanks mimi!! we are set for casa talia and duomo - they will drive us to and from so we don't get lost.
Bonnie

italianconcierge Apr 11th, 2007 10:28 AM

If you can afford Villa Ducale, you can afford a driver to take you to Taormina. Also, it is very easy to drive to Taormina from Catania Airport. The problem is parking in Taormina.
I agree withthe other authors, you should see Siracusa, Ragusa and Modica. Pantallica is worththe drive into the interior. You can pass Baglio ( fortified farms) and austere landscape. In ragusa, yes Al Duomo is famous, ( if you like raw fish Sicilian Style), expensive & overrated. Cicco Sultana does a good job using Sicilian Ingredients in nouvelle ways but his price point is out of line. Money better spend in Siracusa at Don Camillo, more atmosphere and great food.