Sicily v. Tuscany/Umbria for romance

Sep 16th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Jane

Sicily v. Tuscany/Umbria for romance

I'm trying to plan a gorgeous romantic vacation in Italy (May or August 2000) and will rent a car for a week/10 days in order to reach the most magical destinations. Please help me decide between these 2 beautiful locations, since I can't do both. Which experiences made your heart skip a beat?

Sep 16th, 1999, 01:49 PM
Richard

Jane, First, go in May, ain't no magic anywhere in August. Tough call, but I'd opt for Tuscany but also consider the Lake District or the Gargano, the Aeolian Islands are lovely, no matter the choice you can't go wrong.

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:31 PM
michele

DON"T GO IN AUGUST ! Richard is right.

It is a tough call. Sicily is far less traveled than Tuscany and both places are beautiful. ( I tend to lean towards Sicily as it is more unusual).

Sep 17th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Jolene

Jane
Because of schedules, I had to go to Tuscany in August and IMO there was magic to be found then. Lots of small villas and agrotourismo that are beautiful and romantic. But if I had a choice, I'd go for May. Next time, I plan to spend more time in the lake district especially around Lake Orta. It was romantic, magical and gorgeous.

Sep 19th, 1999, 01:45 AM
Ginny

Jane, the answer is Sicily. Something about the Med makes you feel sexy as hell... and for romance, that about does it doesn't it? As beautiful as the Tuscany area is, the Aeolian islands are something else (Panarea, Stromboli, and Volcano are great).
I'm sure you enjoy, no matter where you go. Ciao Bella!

Sep 19th, 1999, 04:41 AM
Jane

Thanks everyone for your replies! Jolene - which agroturismos did you stay in Tuscany? I've been hearing a lot about these and they sound great - is it possible to stay less than a week? What is the atmosphere like at an azienda? What did you find were the most romantic experiences in Tuscany?

Ginny - where did you stay in Sicily? Can you recommend a place for under US$130/nite? Where were the most beautiful sunsets? What else stands out from your trip? Is Palermo worth a day, or is it just a necessary stop as we arrive and depart?
Thanks for all your help!

Sep 21st, 1999, 11:53 PM
Ginny

Hi Jane - We stayed on the island of Panarea both times. We stayed in an apartment on the top floor of a house - approx $65 a night for two couples. I don't know the address of the house, but as you get off the ferry you will see a restaurant/bar to your left, a British guy owns the place and he can always recommend somewhere to stay. As for sunsets, we sat on our front porch which faced the island of Stromboli (an island with an active volcano), anyway, watching the sun set with the lava blowing on the next island was wonderful... Panarea only received power about 10 years ago, there aren't any cars on the island, they drive around on a three wheel contraptions - they use these for taxis, garbage vehicles, everything... anyhoo, don't miss the Bronze Age village that is perched up on top of a rock promentory, accessable by a well groomed pathway - really worth the hike - spectacular views. If you have time go to the island of Stomboli - the film "Stromboli" (old black and white with Roberto Rossolini and Ingrid Bergman) was filmed there - and the house where they had their torrid love affair is there to see - really interesting and beautiful. As for Palermo - I think the catacombs are worth seeing - very bizarre place where very well-preserved dead people lay with their finest attire on and you'll see a young dead girl in her bed who is so well preserved that her 65 year old twin sister still visits her to this day.... maybe if you have time on your way out... Jane, have a wonderful time wherever you go and good luck on your marriage!

Sep 23rd, 1999, 04:23 PM
Jolene

Jane:
sorry for the delay in answering, I haven't checked this site in a few days.
I'm trying to wean myself from my Fodor's addiction!
We stayed in Volpia in Chianti in an apartment within the castle walls. Lina Selvolini is the owner and she has two simple apartments for rent. We rented by the week during August. I think that is the preferred method during high season.
http://www.chiantinet.it/casaselvolini/
There appeared to be other houses and apartments for rent in Volpia. Radda is nearby and there are farmhouses and apartments to rent there as well.
We looked into staying at Podere Torre near Greve and found the owners to be very willing to work with us as far as arrival date/time etc. Their website is:
http://www.greve-in-chianti.com/

As far as romantic experiences---waking up in the morning, the world quiet except for birdsong, watching the sun rise over the forested Tuscan hills, the scent of fruit, flowers and herbs carried on the breeze to your window high in the castle wall....
Sitting in the village square at the botega, finishing the best meal you've eaten as the sun slides behind the stone walls that surround you...
Returning to the village late at night to discover there is a celebration in progress in the square, dancing, laughing and eating with the wonderful residents til the wee hours...
I am still trying to articulate for myself what was the most romantic or beautiful experience---they all were!

Sep 27th, 1999, 02:55 PM
Jane

Wow! Jolene and Ginny - thanks for your incredibly informative help! I much appreciate your sharing the best of your trips and it didn't make my decision any easier. But after wrenching debate, I think we're going to Tuscany for half the trip and then maybe end up along the Amalfi - Italy is just too gorgeous to fit everything into 10 days, but I'll do my best!

Search this Thread