Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sicily travel 6 1/2 days -- please help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-travel-6-1-2-days-please-help-905237/)

dculpepper Sep 6th, 2011 01:11 PM

Sicily travel 6 1/2 days -- please help

The first week of Oct. my husband & I are traveling by train from Salerno to Messina, arriving at 15:30 on a Wednesday. We are thinking we would like to see Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento/Ortygia, Selinunte, Segesta, Trapani, Erice, maybe Ragusa, or maybe Piazza Armerina, or maybe Enna. Palermo & Celafu would be nice but I don't know how to fit either in as we have an early morning flight home (from Palermo) on the following Wednesday. Any suggestions. please! Additional info: My husband does not like to stay in one place too long...please don't laugh but he's afraid that he'll get bored. OK laugh!!

Michael Sep 6th, 2011 01:17 PM

Agrigento and Ortygia are two separate locations not close to each other. I suggest that you get a map and mark the various sights, and then plan on what you can see. You are presumably traveling by car.

You may want to look at my trip report, but that was 9 days of travel in Sicily, staying not more than two nights in any one location. Click on my name to find it.

dculpepper Sep 6th, 2011 01:25 PM

Yes. We'll pick up a rental car in Messina. Instead of Agrigento/Ortygia, I meant Siracusa/Ortygia.

bobthenavigator Sep 6th, 2011 02:19 PM

With so little time I would pick a max of 3 destinations.
If Hubby reads some history of Sicily he will not get bored. It took us 15 days to cover what you propose.
Here are the pics:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828

zeppole Sep 6th, 2011 03:08 PM

I did a road trip in Sicily in the same amount of time and just loved it. We went to Taormina, an agriturismo in Adrana, Ortygia, Siracusa, Ragusa, Modica, Agrigento, Monreale and Mondello. If your husband doesn't mind moving about, it's a fun way to trip around Sicily.

The only place I got bored was Taormina because the town is just so touristy. It makes sense to go straight there if you are picking up the car in Messina, but leave first thing the next morning.

Siracusa/Ortygia does merit lingering for those interested in history. And I hope you are going to Agrigento, which is a marvel.

I think Ragusa -- or the nearby towns of Modica or Noto -- would make a great stop on your way to Agrigento. The food there is fantastic, and the towns are unique. (We had lunch in Ragusa and slept in Modica.)

Then we went on to spend a night in Agrigento. We arrived in plenty of time to see the monuments and left the next morning.

After that, we headed for Monreale outside of Palermo, but I think you are wise to end your trip at the Palermo airport, without actually going into Palermo.

So let's see:

Wed: Taormina
Thu--Fri: Siracusa/Ortygia
Sat:: Ragusa or nearby
Sun:: Agrigento?
Mon:
Tues:
Weds morning fly home

Can't fill in those blanks for you because I didn't got to the remaining places on your hit list. I would only caution you that driving in Sicily is more intense than in other parts of Italy. so compactness of route would appeal to me.

It would also appeal to me to not book things in advance and to stay in agriturismi where dinner is served. I recommend that when you get to Italy you pick up a Slow Food guide to Locande, a Slow Food Guide to Osterie and a Michelin Red Guide. Between the three of them, you really don't need to book hotels in advance, and you shouldn't. You should only drive as much as you want to. You'll find absolutely wonderful cheap places to stay, and eat like royalty. Sicily has one of most varied and tasty cuisines in all of Italy. October is a marvelous time to go.

Have a lot of fun! We did! Just don't be overambitious about how much time you want to spend behind the wheel of a car. You already know you can't see it all, so don't chain yourselves to a sightseeing agenda. Sicily has a fascinating island culture, and those monuments have been there thousands of years, and they'll still be there when you go back to see Palermo.

zeppole Sep 6th, 2011 03:12 PM

I should add that the 3 books I mentioned are in Italian, but you will not have trouble deciphering which places have air con, parking, the price, whether they serve dinner or lunch, etc. They are really worth the investment if you like to eat well and sleep in charming places.

It is also worth it to rent a car with a GPS.

bellini Sep 6th, 2011 11:55 PM

We had 10 days and stayed one or two nights in each of the following- Palermo, Erice (visited Segesta on the way), Agrigento, Siracusa, Cefalu. We visited Noto and Piazza Armerina as side trips. Particularly loved Siracusa and Monreale (as a bus ride out of Palermo) is not to be missed.

dculpepper Sep 7th, 2011 05:23 AM

Thank you guys! You are all the best!!!
Michael, your trip review is incredible! WOW! What a trip!
Bob, I had looked at your pics. prior to your message. Great trip, wonderful pics & you must have a super camera. Thanks!
zeppole, you must have been reading my mind as as your outline is exactly what I'm thinking. I will buy those books! Was hoping to find them as an ebook but haven't yet. I very exctied to hear about the agriturismis. I put the web site for agriturismis on my ipad.
hanabi, thanks for the web site..it's has great info.
bellini, thanks, most of those places are in!
So:
Wed: Taormina
Thu--Fri: Mt Etna then on to Siracusa/Ortygia
Sat: Ragusa or nearby, see Noto and Modica
Sun: Agrigento
Mon: Trapani/Erice area
Tues: see Monreale and night close to Palermo airport
Wed: morning fly home

You are all correct, we are on limited time for Sicily. As my husband wanted, we're traveling a week in Amalfi coast area and a week in Sicily. No worries, I'll get him to take me back to see all those places we missed! :) Thanks again!!

Mimar Sep 7th, 2011 06:11 AM

Zeppole is a traveler after your husband's heart.

We saw Noto by bypassing Siracusa temporarily. It's about 20 minutes or a half hour beyond. The we went back to Siracusa for a couple days. I don't think you need to go to Noto AND Ragusa AND Modica. One Sicilian Baroque town suffices.

I would end the trip with a little time in Palermo, dropping the car at Palermo airport. We found Palermo a fascinating city. You can visit Monreale (a MUST-SEE) by bus from Palermo.

Other places to consider en-route: Selinunte and Segesta.

dculpepper Sep 8th, 2011 08:50 AM

Thanks Mimar! Yes, Monreale is a MUST! Also, Selinunte & Segesta are in!

If it's just one, do you have a recommendation on which, Noto, Ragusa or Modica?

Thanks again!

kja Sep 8th, 2011 07:39 PM

> If it's just one, do you have a recommendation on which, Noto, Ragusa or Modica?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...sa-or-noto.cfm

dculpepper Sep 8th, 2011 08:14 PM

Tahnks! Great info!