Sicily to Malta by boat?

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily to Malta by boat?

Is it possible to take a boat from Sicily to Malta or even the Pantelleria Islands (sp?) in between? Not sure if people fly between islands. I am interested in taking this trip in the future and would appreciate anyone that has done this, thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM

We took the boat from Malta to Sicily last month. I assume you can do it the other direction. Takes only 90 minutes.
Check out http://www.virtuferries.com/
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM
GAC

From Sicily to Pantelleria, you have the following options:

1. Fly from Palermo (Meridiana) or from Trapani (Air One)
2. Overnight car ferry from Trapani: 5 hrs. 45 mins.
3. Fast hydrofoil from Mazara del Vallo (summer only): 2 hrs. 15 mins.

www.meridiana.it
www.air-one.it
www.siremar.it (ferry & hydrofoil)
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
GAC

CORRECTION:

The summer hydrofoil service to Pantelleria is from Trapani and takes 2hrs. 30 mins. Operated by Ustica Lines
www.usticalines.it

The summer service from Mazara del Vallo to Pantelleria is a very fast car ferry (much faster than the regular car ferry out of Trapani). Operated by Siremar
www.siremar.it
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers, schedules and website links. I was imagining the ferries taking a very long time but 90 mins btwn Malta and Sicily is quite fast (from the map, the 2 places look rather far apart and I thought it would take longer than that!)

GAC: The Pantelleria Islands seem rather remote and isolated, stuck out there in between Sicily and the northern coast of Africa. I guess it is that very isolation that makes it an attractive get-away for Giorgio Armani!Is there much to do on the island(s) or is it more like a nature reserve place with hiking, water sports, etc? Do they have a city(ies) or large town there? I am envisioning a Corsica-type island - would it be similar to that? Or not as populous? I have a lot of questions, sorry....
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:37 AM

I took the catamaran between Malta and Sicily and the trip was an hour and a half. The crossing was very smooth and I would recommend this as an easy way to get from Sicily to Malta.

If you want me to look up to departure/arrival points then I can do that but it sounds like you already have lots of information.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Dave, thanks for your feedback. Indeed the crossing btwn Malta and Sicily is quite fast. I am waiting to hear back from GAC or anyone else re: info on the Pantelleria Islands....have you been there?