Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sicily to Malta & Return (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-to-malta-and-return-894755/)

Oldie Jun 13th, 2011 09:42 AM

Sicily to Malta & Return

We (Group of 7) are taking a trip to Sicily Oct 7 to 16...we hope to visit Malta on the 15th
of Oct. but there does not seem to be ferries at that time...
Any help would be appreciated..
Oldie

bon_voyage Jun 13th, 2011 09:52 AM

Try your question on the Tripadvisor Sicily forum.

adrienne Jun 13th, 2011 11:03 AM

In reviewing the ferry schedules you can get there on another day but will have a problem getting back to Sicily the same day (checked Palermo and Catania).

You could fly from Catania and then get a private guide in Malta or take the buses.

IMHO you don't have very much time on Sicily and I would opt to stay there for the entire trip.

valtor Jun 13th, 2011 11:16 AM

As Adrienne said, there is a short flight from Catania to La Valetta (1 hour). This will give you more time to visit Malta.

GeoffHamer Jun 13th, 2011 12:49 PM

Virtu Ferries (www.virtuferries.com) run all year between Malta and Sicily. Their schedules for next October haven't been published yet, but they do operate at that time of year.

Oldie Jun 13th, 2011 04:06 PM

Thank you GeoffHammer...reading the ferries schedules I
thought the ferries did not run in Oct...
to Valtor...
I did not know there was a flight to Malta from Catania..Thanks
To you other folks...
Thanks for the imput...
Oldie

adrienne Jun 13th, 2011 08:46 PM

Not to be too picky about this Oldie, but I'm the one who said to fly from Catania. But I'll just be one of the "other folks" AKA chopped liver.

tarquin Jun 13th, 2011 10:37 PM

I am glad to see that I am not the only cranky one when my helpful and pertinent reply to a query is brushed aside.

KayF Jun 14th, 2011 01:38 AM

The flight from Malta to Catania is only 25 mins and the ferry takes hours. I'd opt for the flight (Air Malta but there may be other airlines). Hopefully you are not spending just one day in Malta? It deserves a lot more, we enjoyed it more than Sicily.

Kay

Oldie Jun 15th, 2011 06:26 AM

Sorry, I did not mean to neglect saying thank you to you Adrienne and to you tarquin. But since I am new to this method I did not want to elaborate on thanking everyone..
Therefore Thank you also KayF
Oldie

adrienne Jun 15th, 2011 06:39 AM

Oldie - the same rules apply in cyberspace that apply in person. If you were in a group of 4 people who were offering you advice you would not thank 2 of them by name and ignore the other 2 people. You would say thanks everyone.

tarquin Jun 15th, 2011 07:45 AM

No thanks due to me, my comment was just an irritated one about manners on this board, really arising from another thread about jewelry in Venice.

adrienne Jun 15th, 2011 08:28 AM

My irritation arose from many threads like this one where I've offered advice and someone else was thanked, by name, for the same information I had previously offered. I was tired of blatantly being ignored.

tarquin - it's good to know that I'm not the only person this has happened to.