Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Sicily specifics during Holy Week and Easter
Notices

Sicily specifics during Holy Week and Easter

Mar 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Sicily specifics during Holy Week and Easter

Looking to build on the trove of good info in past discussion topics... I'll be in northwest Sicily for Holy Thursday and Good Friday, before heading cross-island (more in a moment). I understand the Good Friday processions in Trapani crescendo in the late afternoon and evening. Any advice about how difficult it might be to crowd into/out of town from the countryside, to be able to see some of the goings-on, without having to do our own, personal multi-hour Via Crucis (especially with a somewhat senior citizen in the entourage)? Does the same go for Erice? Other thoughts?

Moving on. Possibly Friday night, more likely Saturday, we'll make a leisurely drive across to the southeast around Siracusa and Noto. I know that lots will be shut for Easter Sunday and Monday but I'm just wondering how much this will impact travel logistics as far as service stations and such along the way? Groceries? Normal hours or early on Saturday? Restaurants? For Easter, I've heard conflicting reports between all-closed and all-full. Thanks for any thoughts. Buona Pasqua, tutti!
Mar 24th, 2012, 07:19 AM

You might want to post your questions on the Tripadvisor message board for Sicily, if you already haven't. A number of residents of Sicily post over there and you can get exceptionally detailed information about individual towns.

One thing you need to think about in Sicily is closure of petrol stations. Make sure you keep your tank topped up and that you learn how to use a petrol machine that takes a credit card.
Mar 24th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Fa pieno and all that, gotcha, will brush up the vocabulary. And will try the other forum. But anyone else on this one, further thought always welcome.
Mar 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Our one trip to Italy during holy week was not to Sicily (it was Bellagio) but the following may be food for thought for you:

1. Watch for holiday schedules for everything (possibly not quite the worry for you as you are driving)

2. Make as many reservations in advance as possible. That time of year is a busy travel time for families and students.

3. I second zepp above about petrol stations. Does your credit card have chip technology? It may or may not be a factor. So yes, do go to manned stations to be safe.

On Easter Sunday, we were surprised and delighted to find many stores open in the morning in Bellagio. The hotel owners invited us for their Easter meal (it was reservations-only) and then we took the ferry to Varenna because its Easter Monday schedule would not get us to the Varenna train station early enough.

Sadly, we never experienced a religious procession so I can't help there. My guess would be that it would start at a square and end at the church but I've been wrong a time or two. Please do report back as this has come up before.

Search this Thread