Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Sicily--overnight in Siracusa, Noto or Ragusa?

Sicily--overnight in Siracusa, Noto or Ragusa?

Jan 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Sicily--overnight in Siracusa, Noto or Ragusa?

Hi. I recently asked about myupcoming trip to Sicily, and I got good feedback. I have decided to limit my stay (just 4 nights, sadly!)to the Eastern area. I will surely stay a couple of nights (or 3?) in Taormina. But I am considering dividing the time between two cities. If I do this, what would be the best place to stay? I want a town that is "quaint, picturesque: with perhaps a winery nearby that I can visit. Any suggestions? Noto? Ragusa? Siracusa? Other?
Thanks a zillion for the help!
Jan 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Siracusa in a heartbeat but stay in the older section called Ortigia.
Jan 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Although I have enjoyed all three, I wholeheartedly agree with dutyfree. The other two would be fine as well but Siracusa is better with more to see.
Jan 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM

I haven't been yet, but I'm planning to sleep in Siracusa (Ortygia) and day trip to Noto. I'd like to make it to Ragusa as well, but two hours there and back is a bit far for a day trip. I'm thinking about Palazzolo Acreide instead. But if you only have one day there should be more than enough to keep you occupied in Siracusa.
Jan 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM

I agree,,stay in Ortigia or in a B&B named Il Limonetto just outside of Siracusa if youhave a car. Here are some images that may inspire you.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM

If you have a limited time in Siracusa, I would definitely stay within Ortigia and experience the magic of that city. The daytrip idea to Noto or Ragusa is too much if you have a limited time.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Siracusa, definitely. But Noto is less than an hour away by comfortable, air-conditioned bus, so I would not count it out for a day trip.
Jan 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM

I stayed in Ortigia and did day trips to Noto, Ragusa and I forgot the other city. We did have a car.

You will be happy with this quaint city.

Gail
Jan 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Siracusa for sure, Noto and/or Ragusa only if you have a lot of extra time. You could easily occupy your time in Ortigia as well as in the archaeological park in Siracusa for multiple days. Siracusa is about 2 hours by bus from Taormina which would be perfect for your trip. You can then just as easily take a bus back to Catania (about 1 hour away) if you are flying out of there.

Siracusa (Ortigia especially) is my absolute favorite city. You will love it!
Jan 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM

We did a day trip by public bus to Noto from Ortigia and really enjoyed it. The architecture of the town is beautiful. One thing though, I would recommend going in the morning as just about everything was closed for a long siesta in the afternoon.
Kay
Jan 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. I've definitely decided on Siracusa. As for location of hotel, would I be unhappy with a hotel on the "neck" of land that connects Ortygia with the mainland? I am looking at Hotel Cavalieri here--any feedback on this one?
Jan 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM

>>would I be unhappy<<

Um, I think so. It's in a very ugly part of town. Do try for something on Ortygia. If it's a cost qustion, there are some nice B&Bs on Ortygia.
Jan 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Have a look at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35087997

I would definitely spend more time in Siracusa than in Taormina. Taormina deserves a 1/2 day visit, in my opinion.
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I would so disagree with the comment above. We thought Siracusa and Ortigia were OK, nothing to rave over and would not go back.

We thought Taormina was captivating, the views sublime, the hike up to Castelmola was worth every blister, we had 4 nights in Taormina and didn't run out of things to do. Taormina and Lipari were the highlights of our visit to Sicily.

Kay
Jan 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Ortigia is a little city that is about to take off-all those who love Tuscany are moving over to Sicily for its unspoiled "old Italy" flavor.
Ortigia is a small island city (one mile by one and half miles)that is surrounded by a seawall so it is perfect for strolling,shopping,people watching,etc. It is linked to the mainland of Siracusa by a few small bridges which will take you to the archaeolgical park and other areas.It is an area of piazzas with families out eating,relaxing, shopping at the outdoor markets,etc.The area has the touristy section but has retained its seduction from ancient times.
Seriously, I would sell my house in a Chicago suburb to live out the rest of my days in Ortigia....ah,Sicilia!
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Dutyfree,
I'm happy to hear that. We might become neighbours in Ortigia.

KayF,
We found Taormina had indeed some nice views, but found it touristically overexploited and in the end disappointing.
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM

Baldrick-glad that you will be a neighbor...just make sure that one of us has a rooftop or balcony overlooking the Ionian Sea for our glass of red wine?
My daughter says that I am not to say anything more about Ortigia being wonderful as she doesn't want it getting overrun with the tourist circuit.
As for Taormina-touristy,hard to walk down the main streets as the place is packed with thousands and tons of gift shops.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM

The fact that Taormina sounds super-touristy is why I'm spending extra days in Siracusa instead - I just confirmed a B&B on Ortigia with a balcony and sea views - can't wait!
Jan 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Where are you ending up in Ortigia?Just an FYI-the Amazing Race had an episode two years ago in Ortigia that you can view on the internet to get an idea of the island?
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM

dutyfree - I'm staying here: www.ortigiaseaview.it/home_eng.htm It has good reviews at tripadvisor.

Do you have a link for the Amazing Race Sicily video clip? I follow that show religiously, but was traveling during most of season 9 and had to settle for the recaps at televisionwithoutpity.com.

Search this Thread