Sicily over Christmas: flexible itinerary or book in advance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Sicily for the first time over Christmas. We plan on using a combination of taxis, guided tours, and private transfers; we do not wish to drive. I am hoping a flexible itinerary is possible so we can work around unpredictability in weather and jet lag, and given that this is low season. We have pulled this off on other low/shoulder season trips in the past. However, I am also aware that there will be hotel closings in low season and reduced availability of services due to the holidays. I am hoping to obtain some perspectives from other travelers based on their knowledge and experiences, recent or otherwise. Can I wait until I reach Sicily to make hotel bookings? Will any tour guides be available? Will taxis be running?
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Except for Christmas Eve and Day and maybe day after Sicily is a normal place with things open and running. One October I made my hotels as I went along and no problem but yes holiday closures could be a problem. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about that time will respond but I would make hotel reservations in advance but I guess with private driver he/she could call for you as you go. I'm sure you'll find lots of private drivers. You could always contact tourist offices to check on those - the Sicilian Tourist Office site has a form that you can email questions to so that may be a good way to find drivers:

Contacts | Visit Sicily official page
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ, that is good to know.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:19 PM
kja

How much time do you plan on spending in Sicily? What are your priorities and interests?
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

kja, ~ 10 days not including travel. I like to do less, not more, and will go back to Sicily in the future. I want to do some part (certainly not all) of these: Erice, Segesta, Monreale, a day or 2 exploring Palermo, the Agrigento temples, Ragusa, Modica, Noto, Ortygia, the Piazza Amerina, Caltagirone ... If the weather permits, scenic walks. Food, long lunches, really long lunches every other day (I would totally embrace that 4 hour siesta). I do not include Etna because it is most likely not doable at this time of the year. I do not want to decide yet what else to leave out. For example, when I reach Palermo, I do not want to be committed to doing a tour of Erice and Segesta even if it is raining. I would like to be able to go into some museums instead, and wait and see if the weather clears up before I do something that is more of an outdoor experience. I do want qualified tour guides for some portions of my itinerary, their flexibility is something I will have to talk with them about.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 05:42 PM
kja

IMO, with 10 days you could -- under the best of circumstances -- see about half of what you list, even if you were to travel at a very fast pace, so I think you are wise to seek flexibility!

That said, here's an idea for your consideration: You could easily choose just 2 bases -- Palermo and Ortigia -- knowing that you won't see even half of what you want, but at least being in locations that offer you a wide variety of options for day trips if they prove possible or indoor sites of interest if the weather is not cooperative. That might maximize your chances of finding good accommodations and identifying, in advance, reputable day tours or drivers. Just something to consider!

Last edited by kja; Sep 26th, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 04:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We are in Sicily now and had prebooked all of our hotels many months ago. However, due to weather and some preferences, issues, we have changed our hotel bookings twice. No penalties to cancel and a variety of hotels in new locations had availability.Buying a SIM card for my phone made it so much easier to change the reservations directly with a phone call.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 07:38 AM

Several locals, including the exceptionally knowledgeable Vagabonda, post on the Tripadvisor Sicily forum and may be able to provide additional information.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With the time you will be in Sicily, you need to cut back on the number of destinations.