Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sicily or foot? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sicily-or-foot-375997/)

zootsi Nov 13th, 2003 06:59 AM

Sicily or foot?

We are in the early stages of planning our second trip to Italy for next April. We will probably start in Naples, then spend a few days somewhere on the Amalfi, then a few days a little further south. After that we are undecided whether to go on to Sicily, or do the 'foot' of Italy (Puglia, Calabria). I suspect this far south it may be warm enough that a nice beach would be a factor, but we would also be looking for interesting small towns and scenic countryside. We don't want to end up near an oil refinery! For people who are familiar with southern Italy, would you do Sicily, or the 'foot'?

GAC Nov 13th, 2003 07:21 AM

Puglia and Calabria are very beautiful, but Sicily is the jackpot. Do some research on the island (Cadogan's Guide of Sicily, Rough Guide to Sicily, Blue Guide of Sicily, Heritage Guide of Sicily-Touring Club Italiano) to see what's there.

laf4275 Nov 13th, 2003 08:59 AM

I travelled through Sicily for ten days by myself a few years ago. I highly recommend it. It is the quintessential Italy without all the tourist traps.

I recommend Taormina and Cefalu for shops/relaxation, and Palermo for culture and museums.

Let me know if you need more specific info.

Laurie

lisabelina Nov 17th, 2003 06:20 PM

Zootsi,
We have never travelled to the foot but just returned from our first trip to Sicily...we loved it and plan to return next year! The island is full of culture,history and beauty. This time we visited Siracusa,Agrigento,Enna,Cefalu,Lipari and Taormina...truly one of our most magnificent trips and we take annual trips to Europe. The driving is wild but if you get into the "mind-set" then all will be well...
Let me know if you have any questions...the fodorites really helped me out on this one! Happy planning! Lisa

PJI Nov 18th, 2003 03:12 AM

Sicily! Sicily! Sicily! Definitely have to agree with laf4275 "It is the quintessential Italy without all the tourist traps." You will love it. Trust us all on this one...

Susie541 Dec 23rd, 2003 08:11 AM

I went to both Calabria and Sicily in October 2003 (both for the first time). I agree with the comments that Sicily is wonderful - - the temples of Agrigento, the ruins of Siracusa, the churches of Palermo and the beauty of Taormina - - are not to be missed. Calabria is different - - more laid back, small towns, soak in the atmosphere and the people. I loved it too but for entirely different reasons. With your itinerary, I think I'd also vote for Sicily.

bobthenavigator Dec 23rd, 2003 08:49 AM

Go to slowtrav.com and under trip reports you will find " Navigating with Bob & Ed" in spring 2000. It covers most of what you want and has some pics as well. We liked Puglia.