Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily or Amalfi Coast for 1 week honeymoon in April?

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody!

I've been away for a while but counting on your help! My dear bf and me are getting married in Belgium on April 14th! At first it didn't look like we'd be able to go on honeymoon right after the wedding due to work, so we're planning a longer trip later this year. But now it seems like we'll be able to take 1 week after all! Yay! With so many other wedding preparations going on at the moment, I hope I can count on your help to find a great place for that 1 week.

Our requirements:
- Not too far from Belgium as we will only be out for 6 or 7 days. Given current political situation not Middle-East, so that probably leaves us in Europe.
- Nice weather: doesn't need to be hot, but some sunshine and +20C would be nice.
- Good mix of culture, nature (light hiking) and some relaxation, preferably coast nearby. We wouldn't mind driving around an area, but perhaps not change hotels every night. 1 to 3 hotels for the period.
- Lovely accomodation, though not super-de-luxe needed: personal service, nice setting, nice view, quiet, a swimming pool. Say around 150-200 euro a night. No big all-inclusive resort type.
- An area where it isn't too hard to find vegetarian food for my bf.

We were thinking Amalfi coast or Sicily. I have seen a lot of Italy, but all North of Rome, never been in the South.

What are your thoughts and where would you recommend us to go? Any other place than Italy? Southern Spain/Portugal/Greece?

Thanks a lot!
Michele
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM

We spent our honeymoon in Amalfi and it was amazing. We had 2 weeks, but with 1 week you could base yourself in 1 town and have enough time to see a lot of the sites. I think Amalfi is perfect for honeymooners--it is so romantic!! I don't know how warm it would be in April, or if you would need a pool... We rented in apartments and our favorite was this one in Praiano, which made an excellent base for exploring the rest of the coast. It has a "plunge pool" that was refreshing in September when we were there--again, not sure you would use this in April. There is a bus stop across the street from the house if you plan on taking public transit. It has amazing views and the owner and her husband are incredibly nice. It was about 150 steps to the apt so you'd need to be fairly fit to stay here. http://www.villeinitalia.com/photos/VillaAmore.jsp

Another suggestion for a base would be Sorrento or Positano.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I much prefer Amalfi coast to Sicily -- just my opinion. My daughter and husband recently celebrated their anniversary here: www.hotelsantacaterina.it. They were very pleased with the hotel and the service. I don't know the rates although it looks posh. Best wishes on your upcoming wedding.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I would vote for Sicily. I have been twice and love it. Here is why I would vote for Sicily. Much quieter, far better food (and I'm a vegetarian), so many amazing sites(best preserved Greek temples in the world) wonderful hiking, far easier driving, and the coast is all around you. I drove most of the island and took a few trains too. I found it very relaxing. You could stay in a few places or just stay in one. I loved Cefalu, Taormina and Enna.

If I were Honeymooning, I would choose anywhere in Italy, but the Amalfi Coast. Although it is pretty, the driving is very difficult, it's very busy and pricey. Just my two cents.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM

I agree absolutely with lisakinnear! Like the Amalfi Coast fine but absolutely love Sicily for all the reasons noted.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM

I prefer the Amalfi coast - but you may find it isn't as warm as you want. Sicily is fascinating and would tend to be a little warmer. Agree that much of the Amalsi coas is almost vertical - so be prepared for LOTs of steps if you stay there.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers!

Although I usually would think Amalfi is indeed way too crowded, I thought April (after Easter holidays) should be ok and if there's one time I'd go there, it'd be on my honeymoon (probably we'd then visit Pompei as well). Don't mind the steps either.
That being said, Sicily sounds more naturally appealing to me and especially my bf: with the ruins, the vulcano, and the quiet.
Any more insi
ghts? Any specific hotel recommendations?

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Another factor: on the Amalfi coast you could stay one spot for the whole week. Also you don't need a car.

Whereas on Sicily, you need to move around, no single spot makes a good base. And a car gives you more flexibility than public transportation. 7 days isn't enough to see all of Sicily. Maybe concentrate on the east coast, basing in Siracusa and Taormina. Fly in and out of Catania. From Siracusa you could do day trips to Noto or other of the Sicilian Baroque towns. From Taormina you can go to Mt. Etna. You might add a third base around Agrigento for the Valley of the Temples and hit the Roman villa at Casale near Piazza Armerina en route.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Mimar makes many good points. I think Amalfi coast would be much more relaxing than Sicily. I also don't think it will be crowded in April. We went in early September when it was busy and that didn't keep us from having an amazing honeymoon.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Sorrento is a great base for the Amalfi coast. You an get the train to Pompeii and Naples, the bus down the coast and ferries or hydrofoils to Capri and also, I htink down the coast (Ibelieve they start running fuller schedules after easter).

Can help with hotels - that isn't our price point.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM

When DD and husband went to Amalfi coast, it was early April -- weather nice, and early enough in the season so that it wasn't so crowded. Also the hotel gave them a super up-grade because it wasn't high season.