Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily, October 2005 - a trip report of sorts.

Oct 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

When planning my first trip to Sicily, many reports on here were very helpful. Similarly fodorites were quick to offer advice on some specific questions I asked.

In the hope of contributing something on my return, I kept a sort of journal of my trip, writing up each days events in a cheap school excercise book. I have now put those notes into a webpage form. They are not meant to be a comprehensive travel guide, more a collection of experiences and musings. I hope that some of it may prove useful.

http://www.microbes.plus.com/sicily2005.htm

Please feel free to comment and suggest changes.
Oct 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM

......just finished reading your excellent trip report - thank you so
much for posting your impressions.
I especially enjoyed sharing your
meals! And, no, I didn't find your
opinions negative at all - just truthful. And sometimes v. amusing.
Oct 31st, 2005, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did think twice about all the restaurant bits - I had noted them down so I could put in restaurant reviews onto the Slow travel site.

The food issue is usually the thing that causes debate at my workplace - I get ccomments like "Ewwwwwwwww - tentacles - how could you! It's disgusting".
Oct 31st, 2005, 05:52 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your report. Well written with a great layout! Love the detailed food information and liked comparing your experiences with mine in Sicily last May. Love the photo of the wrapped artwork! And the cool cat in Siracusa.
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:00 AM

Great report, thanks very much ! Interested to hear it was evidently still quite warm, even warm enough to swim. You seem to have eaten very well I too didn't realise the castle in Siracusa could be visited - something for our next trip.
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

We ate very well, too well in fact. I am glad that excess baggage charges only applied to luggage and not people. I am now probably only allowed celery sticks until Christmas
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:01 AM

Thanks for a most informative report. We're planning to be in Sicily next May. I'm having second thoughts about renting a car for a week. Perhaps we'll rent for 2-3 days. Seems to me having a car is a liability. How is public transportation in Sicily? Is it reliable? Thanks from another cat devotee.
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I am in two minds about whether the car is a liability. We could have done most of our trips as "daily excursions" - these were quite widely advertised in both Siracusa and Cefalu', but obviously with a fixed agenda, and in a group.

Were I to do the trip with the benefit of hindsight, I may be
Oct 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

whoops, how did that happen ?

I may be incline to use public transport more. e.g A train from Airport yto Palermo, a bus to Siracusa. I did look at trains, but the Palermo - Siracusa trip would have been in excess of 6 hours.

I think, when I go again, I would be tempted to use buses more, and maybe do as you have suggested, and hire a car for a few days only.