Notices

Sicily itinerary proposal

Mar 5th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Sicily itinerary proposal

OK - we have only 7 night/6 days during Easter. We land and depart from Palermo, are renting a car, and walking on Etna is on the "must do" list. (I had a more leisurely plan, staying at the western end of the island, until my friend told me that!) Taormina is also on her list - walking the coastal trail of Zingaro is on mine - opposites!

My thoughts - we land 10pm 13th April Palermo Airport - bus to Palermo and stay there 2 nights, one full day for exploring.

15th - bus back to airport and collect rental car (it's booked already) - drive to Nicolosi at the base of Etna. Stay three nights.

16th - go up Etna. Have a tentative booking with Gruppo Guide Etna Nord for a 6-7 hour trip from Sapienza, including the summit craters.

17th - day trip to Taormina, returning to Nicolosi.

I chose Nicolosi for a base for 3 nights to give us a reserve day for Etna, given uncertainties with weather, snow and volcanic activity. Also I thought it might be easier with the car to be staying in a smaller place, and a geologist friend who was based there once says it's quite a pretty town.
With regards Gruppo Guide Etna Nord - this is the company that has communicated best with me hence favouring them.

18th - drive west to Scopello, stay 2 nights.

19th - walk in Zingaro Natural Park, relax.

20th - we have all day, before flying out from Palermo at 10.30pm. (Either here, or on the way from Palermo, we need to factor in Monreale.)

I know there are so many places we are missing but also we don't want to be tearing around driving/sightseeing/finding our way/ticking off historic places every day! We want to relax, enjoy the food and each other's company as well as getting a 'taste' of Sicilia.

Does this make sense? And if so:
- any thoughts for comfortable/clean/friendly budget -ish accommodation in each place?
- best roads/highways to take?

Thanks in anticipation!
Mar 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
kja

Given your constraints and interests, I can see the merits of your plan.

If I understand correctly, you have about 1.5 days in Palermo, which is IMO a day too little, so do think through your priorities in advance so you can use your time there to your best advantage. And yes, you do need to factor in Monreale! Plan on several hours at the cathedral there.

Re: your day trip to Taormina -- stay as long as you can, as it is much more pleasant after day-trippers leave.

For accommodation, check booking.com
For routes, check viamichelin.com and mappy.com and add some time in addition to what they say to expect.

You'll see some wonderful things - enjoy!
Mar 6th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja,

Positive reinforcement for the plan - yes I'm aware we don't have very long in Palermo, we just don't have very long on the whole island! I will discuss with my friend.

Re accommodation, do you have any personal recommendation for Palermo - ideally easy to get to from wherever we arrive in the city on the airport bus, as it's going to be late in the evening.

Thanks
Mar 6th, 2014, 05:55 PM
kja

If I am ever fortunate enough to return to Palermo, I would look for accommodation around the Teatro Massimo or Teatro Politeama-Garibaldi, somewhere in that part of town.

Search this Thread