Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marais arrondissement-how is this location?

Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris the first week of June - with our two young adult daughters (21 and 19). First time in Paris for all except me and it was a very very long time ago! I am embarrassed to say how long ago, but anyway, can anyone comment on this location for an apartment? Of course we want to see the unusual sights, but don't want to be surrounded with other tourists completely. We want to enjoy being in and experiencing Paris and the people and the life.

Any input will be appreciated!

50–60 Rue des Francs Bourgeois

http://www.vrbo.com/370270
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I loved the Marais but I was in a Hotel on the Rue Vielle-du-
Temple.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Cigale Rue -du-Temple crosses Rue des Francs Borgeois - how close to the river Seine was your hotel?
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM

I'd say about 5 minutes. Your daughters are going to love the shops there.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Oh, that looks lovely, Cindywho.
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 07:50 PM

rue des Francs-Bourgeois is a good location, but I can't speak about the apartment.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses!
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM

As far as location goes, I'd live there like a shot. It's within gentle strolling distance of the Place des Vosges and all the cafés, restaurants, shops and public transport you could want.

This part of Rue des Francs-Bourgeois is a little away from the main shopping part of the street: the weekend crowds will be on the other side of Rue Vieille du Temple. Here, the immediate ambiance of the street (i.e., the buildings immediately next to it) are primarily the National Archives, with some less-frequented chic shops, so there won't be much to look at immediately outside the living-room window.

On the other hand, car and motorbike traffic on the street might be a bit noisy as, here, they get a few metres free from the slow-moving pedestrians and traffic queues round about. But the bedrooms face on the inner courtyard, so that needn't be a worry.

Check out the exhibition building on the little square round the corner on Rue Vieille du Temple - they have all sorts of temporary shows there from time to time.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:40 AM

I love the Marais and it's where we usually stay when in Paris. I don't know your exact location, but it's within a few blocks from places that I know are full of hip bars, great bakeries and falafel stands, and trendy boutiques. It sounds like it'll fit your criteria.

Last time, we stayed about 3 blocks from there and while walking around at night, we passed cafes and bars full of people and then turned the corner and saw a father playing kickball against a beautiful building around 10pm at night. So yes, you'll be surrounded by locals.

The only issue we had was that our windows overlooked a busy bar area and it was pretty noisy until the wee hours, so bring earplugs just in case!
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Seconding your daughters loving this area. From there to Place des Vosges they will see more cute clothes, jewelry, and shoes than they or their pocketbooks can stand.

Whether or not it is noisy depends on whether the apartment overlooks the street or the courtyard that characterizes most older properties in Paris. It is never a mistake to travel with earplugs.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 07:25 AM

There are a lot of tourists in that area, but there really isn't any part of Paris where you could pick a hotel/apt. where that would not be true -- at least in areas near the center where you would likely pick. I don't think you really want to be in a plce in a part of Paris with hardly any tourists, that isn't very realistic for someone who has never been there. I know you said you were there once a long time ago, but if you don't even know what the Marais is like, that's about the same thing as never. YOur daughters aren't going to want to be in an area without tourists, either. It is certainly convenient for sightseeing, and as noted, there are lots of shops and places to eat around there, and transportation is convenient.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM

Just one footnote - to my taste, I've noticed on my last couple of visits that the area is moving more upmarket and many of the shops with it. More and more somewhat generic boutiques for clothes, jewellery and cosmetics, fewer and fewer quirky/arty independents.

But in the other direction, you're not far from ordinary supermarkets and convenience stores. You won't be in some sort of tourist ghetto.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 09:36 AM

When we went to Paris six years ago, with my husband and teenage daughters on their first trip, I chose a quiet apartment in the 15th bearing in mind my husband's supersensitive hearing and his tendency to jump wide awake when a pin drops. I loved being out of the center, but my husband thought we should've stayed in the Marais. In December we'll be in a ground floor apartment just off the Place des Voges; we'll see what sort of tune he sings then.

Also my older daughter, who spent a recent semester in the 11th, wanted to be near her favorite salsa dancing club, Barrio Latino.

I'll need to find those ordinary markets, Patrick.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM

<i>I'll need to find those ordinary markets,</i>

You'll be just a step from the marché on Bvd. Richard Lenoir.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all of you, for taking the time to post your knowledge.

Patrick, we will check to see what may be on exhibition on Rue Vieille du Temple.

And I already travel with earplugs as I value my sleep.

Sounds like we will be in the midst of activity. I like that and am remembering Venice where our apt was on a busy canal with early morning activity and I personally loved it. Watching regular people doing their work in a place that is different from my daily life is so very interesting.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Your daughthers (and all of you) might enjoy Canal St Marin area in the 10th. It wouldn't be too far from the Marais. Also, since you will be there in June, the Promenade Plantee entance is right by Oera Bastille and the stroll should be gorgeous in June.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 04:52 PM

just a step from the marché on Bvd. Richard Lenoir<<

Cool, Michael. Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM

That is a great location, cindywho, and the apartment looks like it will work just fine. The reviews from groups similar to yours are uniformly positive. The only thing I don't like about the apartment is the third floor walk up, but the staircase looks manageable enough that I'd still consider it.

BTW, note that there is a difference between the rue du Temple and rue Vieille du Temple. First time in the area I got them confused.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM

TRUE, My hotel was on the Vielle Du Temple.
There's a book store wine bar with jazz on that street